CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My First ATV

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First ATV

Just saying hello. Bought a new 07 Outlander 650 XT yesterday. A bit of buyers remorse after experiencing the hot right side engine case after only riding for 15 to 20 minutes. Wonder how that is going to feel in Arizona in July. Other than that I like it so far. Hoping to learn a lot from those much more versed on ATV's on this forum.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default My First ATV

Go faster,lol just kidding. They do get a little warm.You won't have any remorse when you go riding with your buddies and you see what you really have. I suggest a good pair of riding boots.I lived in tucson for 10 years,and man doing anything in the summer is just plain miserable.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My First ATV

Glad you like the new ride. Welcome to the forums.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default My First ATV

don't say that, from what i hear can am has an awesome machine, tried to get my girlfriend to buy one, but where i live theres only one dealer in the whole area, so she went with a polaris, i have a feeling my next ride will be a can am

Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default My First ATV

Ned if you get a CAN-AM beware. Your girlfriend will have you riding that popo,cause she'll wish she went with the CAN-AM.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default My First ATV

Thanks for the nice welcome. I am looking forward to getting out to the great outdoors. Unfortunately the beastie is sitting in my hangar and I won't be able to get down there for at least two weeks due to work commitments. And yes it is getting hot here in Arizona. It was 95 today. Going to have to haul up north to cooler temps. Ordering the Ricochet skid plates tomorrow. Any recommendations for other necessary accessories? Is Can-Am replacing the CVT covers on the 07's and below due to the leaking problems? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Old 04-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My First ATV

Danno9, congrats on the new ride. I second the riding boots whole heartedly. I have a few scars on my legs from 2 stroke pipe burns. That never happened again after I started wearing riding boots as they usually have nice leather patches top machine sides of each boot just for heat protection.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My First ATV

Hi danno9, I too just got a new too me can am ds650. I saw you have a hanger. Are you a pilot? I am a professional pilot. Again welcome.
Denko

Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Range Rover
Default My First ATV

I have heard some dealers will replace the covers. but not all 07's have the problem so wait and see if yours does.

As for engine heat, I have heard some of the guys that complain of this (I do not find the bike hot at all even in the hot days of the summer but that is just me) are using Engine Ice coolant in the outlander, and they claim it reduces the heat on the bike tremendously. Make sure you read up on it if you decide to switch to it, because you need to properly flush the old coolant before you go to engine ice, as engine ice does nasty things to the engine if you mix it with the stock coolant.

Another fix for the "heat on the leggs issue" is to have the exchaust powdercoated with ceramic coating. I have also heard many of the guys who don;t like the heat have done that and have also had great success. there are threads for both of these fixes on the forums if you are interested.

Personally, I donlt find it an issue at all.. but thats just me. others do feel the same way you do, and there are options. I hope that helps.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My First ATV

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Riding boots, if I can find size 14, will get ordered. Skid plates will be ordered as soon as I know I will be at home to accept them. The Engine Ice sounds interesting. I will make decisions on cooling solutions once I ride it a few times and see if it really bothers me. What was interesting to me was how long the right side of the engine stayed hot. After being shut down for 40 minutes it was still too hot to touch.

Denko I fly an oldie but a goodie 1953 Piper Tripacer. It has less than 2000 hrs. TT. Bought it off of eBay and flew it down from Nampa, ID. to Tucson. Not the best plane for me since I am 6' 6" tall but once I am in it is comfy. Never enough time to fly as often as I would like. Even more difficult here as our heat builds up. What kind of commercial flying do you do?