CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Re-building top end ds650 need tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-building top end ds650 need tips

I own a 03 ds650 that I have punished for 4 years now. The boot between the intake and carb cracked open and sucked in some sand, so now I have a an anit-mosquito machine. I'm gonna rebuild the top end, and just wondering:

I want the JE Hi-comp piston 11.5 - 1.(Stock Bore), but is there any point in a Hi-comp piston if I dont want to go with different cam. I am gonna add-on the Looney tuned true dual exhaust system, and a rev-box.

Any Opinions/Thoughts/Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Range Rover

nice to see another canadian on these forums! i put a je piston in my quad with the stock carb and cams. i figured i eventually want cams so mightaswell do it when its apart. you wont find a huge gain with it but you will notice something. i found mine reved faster. i live in southern ontario and find 91 octane works well with the 11.5 :1 too. if your gonna have it apart anyways, put the piston in.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well you make a good point, the only reason I wanted to avoid the cam this surge, is it didn't quite fit my budget. What you say makes sense, for the price which isn't much, it's there and if it works fine on premium thats good, I was wondering if a guy had to add octane boosters. Thanks alot

Oh and by the way, Mckay how do you like your barnett clutch kit, I was thinking of getting one also.

Thanks[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

iv got the Barnett kit in one of my bike with ron woods springs and love it, cant wait to get it for my other bike! = ]

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

With the looney tuned exhaust, you have to remove the air box and stock intake snorkle and run a direct mount air filter on the carb. I figured i'd post that incase you didnt know. As for cams i got a set of Web 109's that are good performers for $150 and another $150 for the spring kit.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually I didn't know that, sounds like a bit of a pain in the a$$. They claim some serious gain in power though, are there any other pipes that would do the same or close to, I was also looking at the big gun. I ordered the clutch kit today should be here in a couple of weeks (U.S. --> Canada). Next is the piston, thanks for the info.

Hey ds650power, how do you like the ds450?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

where did you end up orderin the clutch kit from? i got mine from my local dealer, the kit plus a litre of oil to soak it in was 300 bucks but he had it the next day.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ordered mine from alba action sports online cost me 200 for the kit and 30 bucks to ship, from my local dealer here they wanted $320.00 for the kit so I can wait for near 100 bucks. I just need it in before early august, goin dune-rippin can't wait.[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

not a bad deal, mine was right euchered so i didnt want to wait. where abouts are ya?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Canadian_quadder

Actually I didn't know that, sounds like a bit of a pain in the a$$. They claim some serious gain in power though, are there any other pipes that would do the same or close to, I was also looking at the big gun. I ordered the clutch kit today should be here in a couple of weeks (U.S. --&gt; Canada). Next is the piston, thanks for the info.

Hey ds650power, how do you like the ds450?</end quote></div>

Mr. Horsepower says that besides his custom pipes the CT pipe is about the best for power output. And this is dyno proven. Also DS650power why would you have to remove the intake snorkel for dual exhaust. I've always heard that you get more and better flow with the stock snorkel on. Also something interesting is that the stock exhaust system with just an aftermarket tip puts out as much or more power than any after market exhaust. The only drawback to that is the weight is still there.

Quick Reply: Re-building top end ds650 need tips