CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ignition/ Rev box question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008 | 11:48 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Ignition/ Rev box question

I recently picked up a Big Gun CDI box for my 03 DS after seeing the difference it made on a friends 01. After plugging it in, I finished some springtime carb cleaning and too her for a spin. I dont yet have a tach on the bike, but it seemed like the ignition was either the same as stock or<u> lower</u>!!
1. Anyone have similar experiences? I'm just putting things together as time and funds allow, and this seemed like a $100 kick in the nut$.
My buddy said he almost had a hard time hitting the rev limiter with his machine in similar riding circumstances, and I bounce off mine right away!
2. Is there a box out there that does away with the "ceiling" and any reviews?

Old 06-06-2008 | 12:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I know Ron Woods had no limit.

Old 06-06-2008 | 12:34 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, but is it worth the $$$

Old 06-06-2008 | 12:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes as long as your careful about not over reving.

Old 06-06-2008 | 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

I think you've either gotten a bad box, or have something else wrong. If possible, I would put your box on another bike, and see how that bike runs.

Old 06-06-2008 | 01:10 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Kind of a lone wolf out this way, my buddy sold his 01 and traded for a hole in the water (boat). Just goes to show that old age (he's 24) can be an ugly thing when your priorities shift[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Most of the guys I ride with are on Kawis or Zukis, so I am not able to trade machines. I have made an attempt to contact the seller for some type of feedback as well-ie. replacement.
There is a used Ron Wood CDI on Ebay, but it looks like one for an earlier model DS. Looks kinda hot too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2008 | 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

It has been by experience that the "cutting out" sensation you get from being too lean on the main jet sort of mimics the sound and feel you get when you hit the rev limiter. I would first check to see how it runs with the stock rev box. If it still runs lousy, I would then check your jetting, since you did recently have the carb apart. Make sure there are no holes in the rubber diaphragm attached to the slide, that this diaphragm is lined up correctly when you put it back on, and that you put all of the washers, springs and spacers on the needle back together in the correct order.

Old 06-06-2008 | 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

You have to remember that even with an increased rev limit (Big Gun), the DS650 still rev's under 9k.... the other bikes you are riding with rev to 10k stock. If you are used to that type of riding the DS650 will feel like its right on the limiter very fast. If you got a bad box I'm guessing the bike wouldn't run at all. Put the stocker back on and see what it feels like, then back to the Big Gun... remember you are only getting another 1000 rpm from that box.

Old 06-06-2008 | 03:24 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

I noticed a huge difference in power and revs when I put my Big Gun on compared to stock. I was bouncing off of the stock one all the time. Now I never hit the limit. You must have another problem going on.

Old 06-06-2008 | 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

in 2 yrs i have never hit the rev limiter on my big gun, but now that it is fried, i tap the stock one all the time now.

Quick Reply: Ignition/ Rev box question