CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ODP Disk Endcap falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ODP Disk Endcap falling apart

I have been running an ODP disk end cap on my stock DS for nearly 2 years now and it has been great. Much quieter than the open endcap and all the power. In the last few months I started to notice the hex screws holding the disks to the main unit were all coming loose. WHen I took the cap off last weekend to inspect I found that the screw holes on the main unit were all stripping out. WHen they designed this thiing they didnt leave enough meat on there for the screw taps. Adding int the fact that its aluminum they end up stripping out over time. THe only way I can see to fix it is to tap a new set of holes next to the old ones but eventually those are going to fail as well.

Has anyone else running an ODP endcap had theirs fail?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem a few years ago when I first got mine. I was told there was a bad batch. I initially fixed it by putting some little nuts from Home Depot on the end of the long allen screws so the discs would tighten down. Marky then convinced me to send the whole thing back, and it was fixed with some helicoils.

I ended up just sticking with my HPR open end cap, so the disked end cap never got used. In my feeble mind and seat of the pants dyno, it always felt like the HPR made a little more power. Now that I have a second bike, I am using the disked end cap, and having it be quieter is nice.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had thought about putting nuts on the end of the screws but the backside of the screw holes are not flush and has a pretty steep angle to it. How did you get the nuts to tighten down and hold? Hows it been holding up since you had it fixed?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

My ODP cap had been sitting in a box for several years, until I put it on my newly acquired second bike a few months ago. The helicoil fix seems to be holding up great, as all of the Allen bolts holding the disks in place are still nice and snug.

I do remember there being a steep angle when I put the nuts on the end on the bolts that hold the disks on. As I recall (and its something I did several years ago), the nuts dug into the aluminum on one side, and that was enough for the bolts to tighten up. I may have even needed to get slightly longer bolts to make it work, I just can't remember. Wish I could be more help.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

i just had a similar problem with my Supertrap end cap. this sounds the same. i had to use longer bolts as mine broke off when i tried to take it apart. i used new longer bolts & nuts and used red locktite so they would not come loose. if the angle is steeep you can use a "coupling" nut which is longer & taper it so it will seat. the screw will be tricky to get the threads started. or if you tighten with a standard nut let the end of the screw bend a bit & it will still hold as long as you don't crack the screw.