CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 650 rear bearings. NEED ADVISE

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS 650 rear bearings. NEED ADVISE

Hello,

Hopefully somone can help me with my issue. I have a 2000 DS 650 and I am in the process of changing the rear bearings. The kid I bought the ATV from didn't take care of it very well so it's a rebuilding process. I got the carrier and axle out but can't get the axle removed from the carrier. The sprocket hub is still on the shaft and I have been really working the shaft in a press to remove but to no avail. My question: Is there any clips on the sproket hub side that would prevent me from getting the axle out? I know there is a clip holding the sproket hub on but I don't think I need to remove it. I have the carrier in the press and am pushing the brake side of the axle. Everythiing should come out thay way without removing the sprocket hub right? Please let me know if I am doing it wrong because I would rather not break anything. I have been hitting it with PB and a heat wrench while pulling on the press. It has moved a little but I just want to be sure I'm doing it right. Any help would be great.

Justin

Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

does anyone know where i can find the bearings. i looked in royal distributing catalauge and it siad there is only 1 bearing in the rear end is that true???

Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

Check HERE for the parts you need. They should have everything at the best price you can find.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my bearings from All ***** bearing company for probably the cheapest you will find. $18 for the front and $36 for the rear set. Here is the link. http://www.goallballs.com/home.asp

It came with both rear bearings and races along with the seals. Part number is 25-1432 for the rear. You can also just take the part number to any Tucker Rocky dealer or Parts Unlimited dealer and have them order them for you. the part number for the fronts are 25-1431. I now have ALL ***** in the front and rear with no issues.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

silverbomb, that sites is awesome!!! i just ordered some mounting brackets for my handle gaurds

Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

i ordered some from a local ski doo dealership this morning

Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no one answered this guy,
if its like my honda the sprocket hub can stay on
if its like my polaris, it must be removed!

look carefully for any clips, they might be hidden by an axle nut or somthing like that
i know nothing of DS's except that i want one

Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks kukerdan. I did end up getting it. The sproket can stay on. It was just pretty much welded to the axle. Had to replace the carrier, and axle along with the bearings.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todem,

Any other advice you can provide as I need to replace the rear bearings in my 04 X model.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

It's pretty straight forward. mine was just as bad as they get.

First get the back end off the ground and take the tires off.
Remove the hub cotter pins and nuts 36mm and remove the hubs
Loosen the two bolts on the swingarm to free the carrier like you would do if you were going to adjust the chain.
Remove the brake caliper
turn the carrier and loosen the chain
remove the bolts that hold the sproket on. you can manuver the sproket around the hub and take it off
You can also take the chain off if you have a master link, otherwise just move it to the side.
On the caliper side there is a nut. The older ones are different but I think they operate the same.
tighten the nut a little so you can remove the C-clip from the groove then you can loosen it up and remove it.
Remove the brake rotor by sliding it out. You may have to knock it loose with a hammer and piece of wood. There is a rubber o-ring inside the rotor that may cause it to stick
Remove the snap ring that holds the caliper bracket on and then remove the bracket.
Now with everything lose you should be able to remove the carrier and axle out the sproket side.
support the carrier and with a hammer and wood hit the axle from the caliper side to knock loose the bearing. If this does not work you may need to use a press
Remove the old races from the carrier and replace with new ones. Use a driver to install the new races or a punch and hammer. Just be careful not to burr the races. A driver would be the best bet.
When installing the new bearings use a punch and a hammer and lightly tap them on.
Other than that just make sure you fill it up with grease and make sure you pack your bearings full of it before you install them.
I used marine grease in mine and it seems to work fine so far.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: DS 650 rear bearings. NEED ADVISE