CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

new tm45. what do i need??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tm45. what do i need??

hey guys,
some of you may know that i purchased a tm45, and it just came tonight. i read the instructions while i was in class and was just wondering if anyone had any advice for installation. thanks!!
Dave

Old 09-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

I'm not a TM expert but the least you need to do is make sure you have the proper jetting and have the Accelerator pump activated from 0-3/4 throttle. That is just the white plastic thing with the 2 adjuster screws and it's really easy to adjust. Also make sure that pump spray is pointed at the needle jet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That should get you set up good.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

i assume you bought a new intake & cable? like silver bomb said you need to use the accelerator pump. if you are useing an IMS desert tank you need to shim the back end of the tank 1/2" or the cable will hit the tank. when I did this i used 2 pieces of 1/4"X2" flat aluminum. the bottom piece i extended for the seat to sit on and the top piece was to add to the shimming, the stock bolts worked fine. if the seat slips off the stock tabs it will drop & hit the cab and make the throttle stick(mine did) jetting is simple, the TM 45 uses the same jets as the stock carb. if you have to move the needle, search the threads for that . i posted earliier on how to move it.it looks tough at first but is quite simple. if you are useing the 5 gal.IMS tank you will have to remove it to get to the top of the carb to move the needle. this is a great carb, you will notioce a big differance in performance. did you buy it new or used?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info about the IMS tank KaylasDaddy. I am in the market for a TM45, so that stuff is great to know.

While we're at it, does the TM need a different intake boot? Mine has cracked and I need a new one anyway, just wasn't sure if there was an aftermarket boot to purchase. Don't want to buy anything extra if I don't have to.

Does the TM require an aftermarket thumb throttle like the Lectrons do?

Also, what do you mean by buying a new intake? Are you referring to the ported intake manifold?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but I appreciate answers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

brand spankin new lol well off of someone for 150 bucks!!!! which was the same price i paid for my ported intake.... but oh well...would it be worth buying the direct carb mount air filter?? oh oh and i was readin and it said that some hose had to be put where the clear hose was on the intake boot. if i have a direct mount airfilter, what the heck do i do??? i do have a throttle cable that came with it!! oh the instructions said it was jetted already with a 150 main. with my stock carb im runnin a 180. idk...seems kinda like a big project...so, so, soooo much to learn lol but im gettin there!!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

if you use a direct mount filter in my opinion as well as the dyno results you will be cutting youself short on hp. useing the stock snokel on mine it added 1.5 hp. with no air box lid. The hose to the intake boot is a breather from the motor. just put a filter on it & tuck it under the facia in a secure spot. The intake is the metal piece that the carb mounts to. the one for the TM 45 has a larger throat than stock... it has to be changed. RWR has them for around $200.00 i just had mine modified by THE BOM for $150.00 and it was matched to the porting on the head as well for a bit more $$. The new intake came with a new boot as it is larger to fit the TM. The TM does not not need a new thumb throttle but an extended one helps with thumb fatigue on long rides. i bought a billet one from MOD QUAD. i cut 1/2" out of the length and rewelded it, this is a great length for me.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DS with a TM runs better with the direct mount filter, I gained 2 mph on Sand Mt with it. I have not had it on the dyno though. I did average three runs each way and tuned with my O2 meter for both on the same afternoon.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Range Rover

well i have good news, and bad news...the good news is that i think i figured out how to set up the accelerator pump...the bad news is that my carb is missing something. i was looking at ronwoods site n saw their carb n noticed the plastic part which is i guess for the accelerator pump. but near it was a little bar with some type of black rubber at the bottom. on my carb where that bar goes is a red adhesive blocking the hole. this is just a headache

Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

Oh Damn, that sucks. That probably means you have no pump. Who sold this thing to you? You should definitely call them out on it.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

You WILL need the rod and the boot to get the pump to operate the plunger, which in fact is what makes this an accelerator! RWR will have all of the parts you need, and Elliott ships lightning fast.

Quick Reply: new tm45. what do i need??