CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

A little help from my friends, please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help from my friends, please?

Alright, here's the deal. I'm going to attempt this one last time. If she can't jump aboard the bandwagon on this attempt then I throw up my arms in disgust and give up...

Long story short for those not familiar with the situation: picked up a KFX700 for the wife so that as she learned and got more skilled and comfortable with it she could go where the rest of us go. Didn't work out so well as the whole time that we owned it she never got it over 10mph. Okay, so maybe it was too big/scary for her. Sold it.
Now I need some input from you guys and gals who have owned different makes and models. I'm specifically looking for a sport or dual purpose quad, not a ute. HAS to be automatic (don't ask)! I know they are out there, I've been looking for a good deal on an Outlander 400 but with as little as I forsee it getting riden I'm hesitant to spend a fortune.
I needs to be a 4 stroke as well for simplicity sake, and because it probably won't be stretching it's legs like a 2 smoker needs to do. Maybe if it's smaller than the KFX she'll be more comfortable/secure. Wish they made an automatic Predator.
So, does Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, or Can Am make a fully auto ATV that you would recommend??? Had a couple of Trailblazers back in the day and I'm not getting another. Not bad machines, but not what I'm looking for. I know someone can point me in the right direction. Warrior, Blaster, TRX, or models like those that are AUTOMATIC would be considered.
Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to it.
I'm really leaning towards the Outlander Max 400. If she won't go over 10 mph on that then I'll just strap her on the back, gag her, and GO.
Really wish she was the Outlander Max 800 kind of woman.
Leaning towards just getting her a RZR and calling it a day but they are still pricey. I think strapped in and roll cages around her may open her mind.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

Honda 250ex was my wifes first quad and even though she has a 330 outlander now, I think she had more fun with a sport machine. Has great traction and she went through alot of mud. Uses the 4x4 option very little. Not a mud person.

OMR

Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

Just give up and make it a guys only activity......

Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Chumly75

Just give up and make it a guys only activity......</end quote></div>

LOL, I did that for the past several years and really enjoyed the trips with my boys, and the numerous dune trips with the guys, but my children are getting ready to move on and I figured it would be a good way for me and the old lady to reconnect.
I've got my NASCAR, concerts, dune trips, etc., and she's got her girl shopping and mountain community trips, but with an old Marine Corps injury keeping me from doing all of the camping/hiking activities that she and I used to enjoy it's keeping us from sharing alot of time that we used to share together. Just trying to drag her out to actually enjoy something that I enjoy.
Some of you guys that have been married 25+ years may be able to relate here.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vic,
Joel, the kids that was with us at Dumont, had a 250EX Sportclutch, and you saw how well he did keeping up with us. You can use the clutch, or shift semi automatic. But its not a full auto....

Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

If you figure it out I'll be interested as my wife wants nothing to do wih it. She doesn't like the crowds though and is scared. Out in a field is fine with her but she still only wants to put around. Good luck though I hope you find a way.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Just a thought what about a Renegade 500?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sometimes its not for all women. I personally love the sand and have got the joy of riding with Vic and a lot of the guys on this forum. It has become a great family sport for us. But not all women will ever enjoy it. But I think a Side by Side may be just the ticket for ya there Vic. Good luck and I hope she comes out and we get to meet her one of the next times. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why is it that you will not consider a Ute?

Consider this:

1. The 10 MPH thing is a good indicator that she is not comfortable on a quad as yet. Start her out on a large, heavy and powerful quad (like the KFX 700) and she's obviously not going to feel comfortable. Solution - Get her a smaller, lighter and less powerful quad that makes her more comfortable to ride. If she's more comfortable, she'll ride more. If she rides more, she'll get better - then, move her up to something faster. I'd suggest something in the 250 class - these bikes are about 7/8ths full size and weigh in right at 400 pounds.
2. Keep her clean and she'll ride more. Go dashing through the mud on a sport bike and you're getting wet and muddy - no matter what. Do the same thing on a ute and you can stay dryer with more fender protection. I know we love our sport but if you're new to it and not sure how yuou'll like it being wet all day long when it's 50 degrees or less is not too comfortable.
3. As you've found, there are not too many choices in automatic sport bikes. My wife's ride "was" an Ozark 250 - small enough and light enough that she wasn't scared of it. It is a 5-speed autoclutch though. However, once she got used to it then she felt OK on a larger bike. My sons took over the Ozark as they got older so for one ATV vacation we rented a Kodiac 400 for my wife to use - no problems with the larger bike. I think if I got her another bike now, I'd look at the AC 250 - has IRS for a better ride, an automatic tranny and even has a high and low range. A slightly larger and 4wd good 'wife bike ' is that AC 366. You can get the same bikes from Kymco.

The bottom line is that she HAS to feel comfortable on the ATV. Get her one that she likes and she'll ride it.

Jaybee

Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It's cause they ride DESERT not woods. That is kinda hard to find even a small puddle when it is 80 or so degrees. LOL

Quick Reply: A little help from my friends, please?