CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Visco Loc

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visco Loc

I've read where newer Outtys have a faster engagement. Can older models like a 2006 be modified to the newer version?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Visco Loc

the newer visco lock is no faster to engage then the older ones.

From my experience the visco look is no good, for example by the time the fourth wheel finally locks, the other three are stuck way to deep.

Is there anything that can be done to the newer outlanders to engage right away

Its a 2008 outlander 500efi

Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Visco Loc

Something wrong there. The Visco works best in mud. You should not be having that problem. The newer Visco's do lock faster and yes you can install a 09 Visco if you choose, but the difference is minimal. The older Traxters lock a lot faster and you can use that unit also if you really think you need it.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Visco Loc

well i dont understand this unit is my dads.
Its still under warranty, he was driving in the bush with lots of mud when he went hunting and has never been pulled out so many times as he has. He had a polaris with the tru lock before.
Looking for any ideas.
thanks

Old 02-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Visco Loc

Tires have more to do with performance in mud than the type locker. What does he run now? What was on the Popo?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default Visco Loc

the tires really have nothing to do with being stuck if there not even turning if you let off the throttle when going over a fallen tree then ease your way over only three tires turn.
He only has stock tires .

Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Visco Loc

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: smilenbob1 if you let off the throttle when going over a fallen tree then ease your way over only three tires turn. </end quote></div>

I've found the visco-lok to be ineffective for my type of riding is heavy woods and rough terrain which requires a lot of slow speed finesse riding. You simply can't keep the front end locked. The visco-lok loses pressure and unlocks too often. Creeping over logs, going through muddy ditches, working your way slowly through steep ravines and other slow technical riding isn't the visco-lok's strong suit.

Fast riding on open trails, steady all out mud running or running through the snow in open country is where the visco-lok is effective. In slow speed technical riding it is less than optimal.

It would be immensely helpful if can-am would offer a switch or something that allowed riders to lock the front end when they needed to while still allowing standard operation under less demanding conditions. Unfortunately they have a great deal of marketing invested in their visco-lok as currently designed and marketed so we're unlikely to see such a feature. Shame the aftermaket can't come up with something.

The shortcomings of the visco-lok is one of the main reasons why I can't consider a new Outlander for my particular uses. I've tried it. It doesn't work for the way I ride and frankly it's downright dangerous at times.

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Visco Loc

Well said, thanks alot CaptainQuint you were the most helpful. What you said is exactly what me and my dad have experienced.
We had thought that something was wrong but from what you had said its just the way the visco lock works.
This is the first can am he had, so its a live and learn experience, Know he wants to get rid of it for that exact reason, it doesnt suit his type of riding.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Visco Loc

CQ What Can Am did you own? No info in your sig line. While I have read that a few people have had trouble adjusting to the way the Visco works, by far most have said it is a non-issue. I do a lot of technical riding with Grizz's, King Quads and Popo's. There is nothing they can go through that I can't also. I just wonder how far a little instruction would go in getting a new rider competent on the Can Am.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default Visco Loc

Cardiac, what would I have to do to put an 09 visco on an 06 800 if I decided to?

Quick Reply: Visco Loc