CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Making an ATV street legal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making an ATV street legal.

This is gonna be different, depending on which state you are from, but has anybody here done it? I'm considering making my DS1000 street legal.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

All depends what state you are in i think there are only 2 states that allow quads on the roads. For all the other states and countries you need 3 wheels...there are conversion kits i have seen in the last years that allow for a big fatty single rear tire it involves replacing the swing arm....not to sure who makes them or who did but that is the only way to go.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

My ATV is street legal it don't see cop's....lol

Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

You will likely need: Left mirror, horn, brake light, turn signals.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Talking

Originally Posted by KQ400Pilot
You will likely need: Left mirror, horn, brake light, turn signals.
The mirror isn't a problem... the perch is already threaded, I can just screw one in.. it already has a horn.. I used most of the R1 wiring harness that came with the engine, & the horn came with it too, so I just mounted it under the front plastic, near the headlight. The brake light switch & tail light are already there, I'd just need to run a couple wires... & a set of cheap flush mount turn signals would be easy to install.. I'd also need DOT approved tires... I have a friend who works at the DMV, I'll run the idea past her & see what she says... I'm thinking that I would have to go through the state inspection, just like when you build a home made street rod, or fix a vehicle with a salvage title. It would be really fun to drive through town with the DS1000. :-)

Old 09-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

what state are you in? in Arizona it is easy!!!! all of mine are street legal. you need a horn, tail & brake light & a mirror. tire are not an issue. you can not ride you streel legal atv on any road with a speed limit posted higher than 55 mph. have had mine legal for over 2 years with no cop problems.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I'm from upstate NY. :-(
Do they give you a different title, after you've made it street legal? It might be easier to make it legal in a different state, then transfer the title to NY.. This thing is a blast to ride on the roads.. If I nail the throttle in 3rd gear, I can get the front wheels to come off the ground. It carries the front wheels, until I let off the throttle.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

no diferant title just diferant plate.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

I think you would end up with a different title in NY, as all off road vehicles have a transferrable registration vrs a title to prove ownership and to transfer ownership.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by KaylasDaddy
what state are you in? in Arizona it is easy!!!! all of mine are street legal. you need a horn, tail & brake light & a mirror. tire are not an issue. you can not ride you streel legal atv on any road with a speed limit posted higher than 55 mph. have had mine legal for over 2 years with no cop problems.
I haven't heard about the 55mph limit but AZ is easy and don't forget insurance. I think I pay $90 a year for both ATVs for basic liability.

Quick Reply: Making an ATV street legal.