CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Wheel Spacer Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacer Project

I got a free set of heavy duty front yamaha rims and dune tires. I'm going to be CNC Machining an adapter / wheel spacer set so they will fit on my DS650.

I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in a set? I'm at the very beginning of the process, so I don't have a price yet. I'm pretty sure I can make them way cheaper than what you find online. I want to see if anybody is interested before I call and get a material quote.

Material will be 6061-T6 Solid Aluminum. Anodizing could be an option. I will probably get mine black anodized. They can do Black, Gold, Blue, Purple, Red, or Green. Doesn't matter much because the rim will probably cover a lot of it.

I would probably include pressed in studs. Spacing will probably be 1.5" per side. I could go more, but the material would be more expensive.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us run Black or Blue label lighter duty wheels for the sand to save weight and free up a little HP. Adding a spacer wheel adapter will add a bit of weight. If you are doing this for sand use you may want to sell the Yamaha wheels and get some with the right bolt pattern. I had a set I traded Silverbomber that had about a +1.5 or 2in offset so you can go that route as well if you wanted a fast way to add width to your front end.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Good point. I was just trying to spend as little money as possible. I can get material fairly cheap through the company. I'm sure I would have a hell of a time finding someone with offset heavy duty wheels for the sand. I need the thicker walled ones.

The spacers wouldn't be too heavy, but I guess when you're trying to shave anything you can they are deemed unnecessary, ha.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

If no one is interested within the next couple days I'll probably just make a set for myself.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Since you have access to the materials & the machine shop, you might want to consider making & selling handlebar risers.. I've seen a lot of DS's out there with marks on the tank cover, because we switched bars, & they touch the tank cover when we turn. A piece of aluminum with a few holes drilled in it would probably work..

Old 09-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

I was actually going to look into making my own risers as well, and would have offered to take orders on here. I need to get the bike ready for the dunes first. The rims is one of many tasks. Brakes are still a concern.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

I'd buy a few sets, if the price is right. a few of my DS's have the marks on the tank cover.

Just reinforce the front bumper, then you won't need brakes. :-)

Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

I got marks on my tank cause of my bars!!! If the price is right i will need a set. And brakes?? I thought that what your clutch and gears where for.....are your front bumper!!!:-)

Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

If anyone has a set of handle bar risers they would be willing to lend so I could re-engineer them, that would be appreciated. I haven't seen a set in person before, so I'm not sure where the problem areas are.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

I have a set of risers that fit a trx450 if the stem set up is the same I'm more than happy to send them to you. They fit Fat bars

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer Project