CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Chain

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain

I have a +2" extended swing arm on my DS650. Anyone know how many links I SHOULD have for that setup?

I don't think the guy who owned the bike before me put the right size chain on. So now it has messed up both my sprockets and the chain is messed up. I'm getting ready to order all 3 parts, and want to get the right size chain this time.

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of guessing what you need just count how many links are on there now and order a new one with a few more links. Chains are typically sold in increments of 10 links and you can easily cut off what you don't need with a dremel.

IF your going to be replacing your chain and sprockets I recommend going to a 520 setup and ditching the stock 530 boat anchor.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

Will going to a 520 chain require new sprockets, if so where do you get them? I see sidewinder has an "KIT", but that is alot of money!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DSengineer
Instead of guessing what you need just count how many links are on there now and order a new one with a few more links. Chains are typically sold in increments of 10 links and you can easily cut off what you don't need with a dremel.

IF your going to be replacing your chain and sprockets I recommend going to a 520 setup and ditching the stock 530 boat anchor.
So the 530 chain is heavier?

I'm a heavy guy. Would converting to a 520 chain make it less strong?

I always thought the only difference between the 520 and the 530 chains were the gaps between the two pins per link (space where the sprocket teeth fit in)... 20MM vs. 30MM?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Has been riding one thing or another since I was 11 years old.(31 years).

the 530 is MUCH heavier than the 520. unless you are going to put your ds on a SERIOUS diet the weight differance (in my opinion) doesn't matter. i prefer the heavier chain and not spend the big bucks on the 520 conversion. i already stretch the 530 ... i could onmly imagine the stress on a 520. JUST MY OPINION.... im sure someone will disagree with me.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Kaylasdaddy. I stripped the teeth off an almost new front sprocket this weekend, & it was a 530. The only way I would run the 520 setup, is if I were drag racing & every ounce counted.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

I run a 520 and I dune the living daylights out of my DS. I've had almost no stretching at all with my chain and no wear on my sprockets at all. I have an RK Gold X-ring chain(awesome), a rear Ti-Moly Sidewinder 520 sprocket, and a steel front. This set-up has worked really good for me. So I would recommend piecing together a 520 kit. You can get used sprockets or check out Ron Woods for sprockets and Rocky Mountain ATV has a few really good Gold X-ring chains including the one I have. Good luck man.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. I will probably stick with 530 for now, just because the sprockets are so cheap.

The only thing that pisses me off about Rocky Mountain ATV is they have awesome prices on OEM duplicate sprockets, but they only have like 1 option for a 530 chain, and its way more expensive than the more available 520 chains. Probably a higher demand for the 520.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justme23005
I agree with Kaylasdaddy. I stripped the teeth off an almost new front sprocket this weekend, & it was a 530. The only way I would run the 520 setup, is if I were drag racing & every ounce counted.
Your comparing apples to oranges. Your 1000cc street bike motor is probably turning 3x the rear wheel HP of a stock Rotax motor.

All chains will have some amount of stretch when they break-in. There are plenty of good quality 530 chains out there that are just as stong as a 530 when used on a DS. Every sport quad on the market (including the Raptor 700) uses a 520. In my opinion the 530 is complete overkill on the DS. It makes sense to go to a 520 setup if your going to be replacing chain and sprockets anyways. The saving in "rotating" mass, not dead mass is pretty significant and will free up a couple of HP and let the motor rev quicker. I have run a 520 DID X-ring, Rocky Mountain front steel, and PBI rear aluminum on my HPR cam/piston stock bore and had no significant stretch after break-in or signs of significant sprocket wear after 2.5yr of use.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DSengineer
Your comparing apples to oranges. Your 1000cc street bike motor is probably turning 3x the rear wheel HP of a stock Rotax motor.

All chains will have some amount of stretch when they break-in. There are plenty of good quality 530 chains out there that are just as stong as a 530 when used on a DS. Every sport quad on the market (including the Raptor 700) uses a 520. In my opinion the 530 is complete overkill on the DS. It makes sense to go to a 520 setup if your going to be replacing chain and sprockets anyways. The saving in "rotating" mass, not dead mass is pretty significant and will free up a couple of HP and let the motor rev quicker. I have run a 520 DID X-ring, Rocky Mountain front steel, and PBI rear aluminum on my HPR cam/piston stock bore and had no significant stretch after break-in or signs of significant sprocket wear after 2.5yr of use.
Hmm... okay. I guess I'm just used to HAVING to go with the overkill option because of my size. (I'm 6'5, 300+ pounds).

But this is the kind of stuff I need to learn. whether or not my extra weight will stretch out the 520 chain easier than a 530.

I'm pretty sure Bombardier decided to go with the 530 chains because the DS650s weigh so much more than any other sport bike, and they didn't want the chain to be an issue. Just my 2 cents.

Where did you find a front sprocket on Rocky Mountain ATV for the DS that fits a 520 chain? The only ones I can find are mirrored to the OEM.

Quick Reply: Chain