CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Ds owner and a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again! I had read this. I will print this out along with the manual and see if between the two I can figure out what the hell I am doing.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help and confidence booster.

I bent the tang 3-4mm without measuring as the comparison to the shop manual was highly noticable.

put it back on with just the motor side clamp and fuel line not even the throttle cable and hit a few times and it kinda popped.

The motor side rubber clamp barely holds it on any more.

So put the other tube back on and into airbox to add rigidity, sprayed some starter fluid in tube, hooked up a better battery and it fired right of and idle for a couple seconds. Then I adjusted the idle control to add some more air since throttle was not hooked up, did a full choke and it fired right up again. No starte fluid needed and it was running. Put filter back in and cover on, lowered the idle speed back down and ran it till it was warm.

The overflow from the bowl is still dripping about a drop a second much better than the steady stream before. Have to pull carb back off anyway so will take measurements and make a final tune of the float adjustment.

Gonna hit lowes up and see if I can find a rubber coupler similar to the one between carb and motor.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Glad you are getting it sorted out!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Took them out Sunday! Was up till 330 Sunday morning working thn got up at 630 and started putting the ds together. I never pulled the bowl off again but it's no longer draining? The damn thing fires up so well now. It starts better than the baja. I think it's faster too. It got hot a few ties and fan doesn't work so got some wire checking, relay checking to do.

Needless to say I broke the Baja. Father in law followed me through a back trail while we poked along and cleared spider webs from between the trees. Then we swapped and I hit the trail hard for me anyway with no real previous experience on sport quads. Did a little jump and some hard cornering and it threw the chain. Well figurrd out the whole rear end is moving around enough that the sprocket is hitting the swing arm. Pretty sure the rear bearings were all ready gone now that we think about it. The chain was really dry when we got it so the squeaking sound when rolling was thought to be that. Now we know better.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see you got the carb issue fixed.. I had the same problem when I got to arizona.. my dad's honda rancher had been sitting for a while and he thought someone was stealing his gas..lol.. turned out the carb was draining it out.. and it was a full stream.. usually if you tap the bottom of the carb (not hard enough to crack it) it will fix it.. but I did that and it slowed it down then I ran it hard for three days and after going threw 2 tanks of gas it stopped leaking..