CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help me; dallas texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me; dallas texas

Just bought 2001 DS650. I believe top-end is damaged. Does anyone know a person who specializes in rotax down here? Does anybody else have a ds650 also in Dallas to meet or chat. I live on Buckner & I-30. HELP!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

I can't think of a good dealer in the mid cities area that I'd take it to. Just not a real popular model for our area. I know there are several people here that can recommend a quality builder, but you'd have to ship off the motor.

I'm sure they can help walk you through it if you want to try it on your own.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks brother, any information will help.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

if u lived closer to me i would help u get her all lined out im in texarkana its about 185 miles east of u

Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Get an estimate first... It might be cheaper to find a decent used engine. or get parts off ebay.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

How complicated is it bigbird650? I know a little of how engines function. I figure that step1- is to remove top-end upto exposing piston and being able to remove it. step2 wash-out bottom-end with solvent to remove any metal shavings (hopefully no chunks). step3 take top-end to a machined shop and have it bored. step4 replace gaskets, lifters and springs. step5 have rings and top-end fitted to work. step6 assemble.
I am not a mechanic bigbird, are u familiar with the process?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

ive got a good friend that lives here in texarkana also that has a ds that will know more about what ur asking he will answer u on here shortly

Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Lazzarus,

I'm Petes friend, my name is Jay. My first question to you is what are you wanting to do with the engine?? Build back to stock? Mild stock bore/stroke? Full race?? Also another question is how much are you looking to spend?? These motors are very simple and really easy to get good power out of. Answer those questions and we'll go from there. If you want to do the work yourself the very first thing you'll need to do is buy yourself a manual.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would say mild. I will open her up from top-end tomorrow if possible. I will order a manual. What type do you recommend? A disc or hard-copy? How much do you figure I will spend on stock and mild. Thanks brothers.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAZZARUS
I would say mild. I will open her up from top-end tomorrow if possible. I will order a manual. What type do you recommend? A disc or hard-copy? How much do you figure I will spend on stock and mild. Thanks brothers.
I would say get a book. They are alot easier to keep close to you when your working on it if ya need it.

Well cost depends on what you want to do. Most of the parts you can find on ebay or on the forums. Look for a HSR TM 45mm or 48mm carb. they are Mikuni carbs and work well, a ported intake, some web 110/109 or A1A2 cams, a Ron Woods Racing exhaust, Ron Wood Racing CDI, CP 12.5:1 piston.

That's just some of the basic mild build parts. There are alot of other parts avaliable, alot better parts. Like I said these are for a basic mild build. With a decent port job these parts should get you atleast in the upper 50 to lower 60hp range.

I'll send you a PM telling you what Pete and I have and the power we made.

Quick Reply: Help me; dallas texas