CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TM48 Carb

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TM48 Carb

Okay, so I'm sure for a lot of the veterans this topic is beat to death. Bear with me please.

I have an 05 DS650x. I want some more power out of it, but I don't have a ton of money to hurl at it.

OMW racing says putting on a TM48 Carb and porting out the intake is a good way to gain 6hp. Is this true, even for a stock motor? I would prefer to keep the motor stock for now, just because of the cost.

To get that much of a gain do you have to have the air filter mounted on the carb? I would think the way the new carb would give you more power, is to give you more fuel, which in turn takes more air flow. I would prefer to keep it in the air box, seeing as I have to cross water sometimes.

Also, does anyone know the specs on porting out the intake? I work in a machine shop, and if I knew the exact amount of material to take off, I could knock that out in a matter of minutes for free.

I'm no mechanic, so yeah...

I appreciate your time and advice. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Heres what "Aaen" say of the TMX 42 carb.on there stage 2 kit. Its for the Polaris 500 but must hold true for a DS as well. Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV 500

The 42 TMX Carb has many advantages. Airflow is up 20% compared to the stock carb and throttle response is instant instead of having to wait for vacuum to build up as on the stock CV carb. The TMX carb is not sensitive to Air box vacuum like the stock carb and the box can be differently modified or the carb can be run with a straight Racing Filter for better power.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Range Rover
Smile

if your not doing anything else to it. just do the omr carb mods. there in the how to section.
get a filter k&n style. leave it in the airbox with the lid removed. spend the money on a cdi, and hmf slip on exhaust. big gun cdi, both are easy on the wallet. if you measure the inside of the carb its 42 mm just make sure the intake matches it and blends into the split. also a trick omr told me take your stock header off look into the tube (head end) about a 1" in there is a step . blend it into the pipe. if you work in a machine shop you could lighten the flywheel. .but nothing will help like a high comp piston,