CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander 650 vs Outlander Max

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander 650 vs Outlander Max

While my King Quad 500 is a nice vehicle it just doesn't get up and dance like I would prefer. So after much searching the 60hp Outlander 650 XT is just the best choice for me on paper.
So the other day in casual conversation I asked my wife if she would go out with me if I had a 2 seater? She said probably (not knowing what I have in mind)
So here is what I am looking for... What is the ride like.
The main difference between the Max and the standard version is 50lbs and 8 inches in wheelbase/overall length.
I am a fairly aggressive rider and will be on the machine alone 100% of the time if I get the standard Outlander and probably 90-95% of the time if I get the Max.
Interesting thing is the Max is less money for a new 2010.
Price really isn't the concern at this point it is handling in all conditions.
Your thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated.
If it makes any diffrence or if there is a similarity I am 6' 5'' and 340lbs.
BTW - I am going to make the purchase end of December.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by King Quad
Interesting thing is the Max is less money for a new 2010.
I Should be clear If I get the EFI only I could get the unit for less.
If I would go with the XT there is an upward price jump.
I was on the Can Am offical site and there was a bunch of positive things said about the Max.
One major negative was trade in on the Max vs the standard unit.
Again please chime in with your thoughts

Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer

I would say if 50% or more riding is going to be you alone to go with the 650 XT. If your wife is not going to be with you enough to make having the MAX worthwhile, then it is not worth it to buy one. The main advantages of a MAX are off-camber riding, and carrying a passenger. The 650 XT will give you a much more pleasant single person ride. I personally have a 2007 650 HO XT and love it. It has very manageable power in all situations, and my wife and I fit just perfect on it together so no need for a MAX for us. But I have drove many 2-up machines, including the MAX, and it is definitely not a great single person machine. Just my 2 cents and hope it helps.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks I do ride a good bit 4-5 hours a week so I will be on the machine a ton.
What I am really trying to do is bribe my wife into getting out on the trail with me.

That said if the Max isnt the best one person machine I will probably stick with the straight Outlander since it will really be for me.

I will be at trailfest next month (hatfield and mc coy) and if given the chance I will test ride both machines and make a final decision.
Thanks

Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Another advantage of having a 2-up machine is that steep hills aren't as intimidating as the single rider machines. The longer wheelbase makes it much more stable. The trade off is there is slightly less breakover angle due to the longer wheelbase. One issue with CanAms is that the spar frame is a little on the weak side compared to most brands and especially the heavy Polaris frame. If you are going to be in lots of rocks and roots it's not a bad idea to have some after market skid plates or a frame insert. We did a high molecular weight plastic insert in my son's Renegade and it looks like it will stiffen it significantly. We ride in New England where there is every kind of riding imagineable other than sand dunes, with lots of rocks.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

The XT package is definitely the way to go as well. 2009 and older XTs include winch, front and rear bumpers, hand guards, aluminum rims and more aggressive tires, all of which are nice to have, for about $700 extra. 2010 and newer XTs add all of that plus dynamic powers steering, for $1200ish. So XT, no matter the year, is definitely an awesome addon, because it will cost you more than they charge to add all of those accessories on your own.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

I have an 06 Outlander 800. Great machine, over 7000 miles. That said, I am going to trade up to a newer model and get the max this time. After a number of rides on the Paiute, Moab and the High Sierra's with groups that had about every type of machine out there, a max 800 XT is the best there is. You wouldn't think so, but the Max is much more capable (and safe) going up and down very steep hills. The small amount of turning radius you lose is a small price to pay.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Because of my weight and height my center of gravity is higher. The rear wheels of my king have lifted more than once on severe downhills and that feeling of my you know what radiating into my stomach is not pleasant
So the longer wheelbase would be a plus.

Ok I can agree the XT package is better.
However
The center skid plate seems thin and lacking though and that appears to be a necessary added expense.
Western Pa is rocky and root filled with multiple log crossings. That said I did not put a plate on my King. (also replaced a broken stock plate)

Now I am leaning tword the Max but I guess I will have to save a few more pennies.
I would appreciate more Max owners chiming with your thoughts. Like I said I have until December to pull the trigger.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

King Quad. You may want to try one of the more active Can Am forums to get more responses. A good one is can-amforums.com.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I did read the Can-Am specific forums and the main complaint was resale on the Max and turning.
I will also be at Trail Fest as I mentioned earlier and If able I will do a test run there.
In November I will be in S.C. (Palmetto I think and that is a Can-Am sponsered event)
So I will get some saddle time before I have to choose.
Maybe I am just looking too hard at this question.

Thanks for the suggestion about the forum.

Quick Reply: Outlander 650 vs Outlander Max