CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Maintenance (DS650)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance (DS650)

Hey guys,
JUst got my new-to-me 2004 650 tonight, the batt is drained so I didnt get to go for a rip yet. Il have to get a 6v batt charger/trickle.
What do you guys suggest I do, oil change, chain lube, other maintenance stuff and what type/brand oil etc?
ITs been sitting for a while, the PO didnt ride much if at all.

Thanks&Cheers!

Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has it been sitting with gas in it? If so you'll want to drain the old gas pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. Battery is standard 12v just like your car but it could be toast if its the original.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Its only got maybe 1/8 gas in it, its a fairly new battery he just left the lights on and killed it, ive got a 2amp charge hittin it now, let it charge for the work day.

I got an oil filter today, curious what you guys use for oil? Im gonna use 5w30 but can it be reg engine oil long as it meets the "jaso" standards? I looked at a bunch of dino and not many said JASO, I looked at the oil I use in my truck (shell T-6 5w40 syn) and it says JASO....
Ohh, and is the KN air filter a good choice for these bikes?

Thanks again!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

For oil, I use the recommended Bombardier synthetic summer blend. You must use synthetic with these bikes. K&N air filter is a good choice. Also, might want to consider Engine Ice for the radiator. It will run 15 to 20 degrees cooler which means less fan activity. Do yourself a favor and buy a service manual online. You will need it. There are good electronic ones availlable for about $15. Comes on a CD in pdf format. All this info should be available by searching the forum. Welcome aboard.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks!
I will go with the Bomb oil, my buddy uses that engine ice stuff in his kfx700, *****t aint cheap! Coolant still looks good but will change soon anyways.
I found online owners manual (free) and have it saved.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

I like more info on why you say we have to run synthetic..? The manual says mineral based or synthetic blend is fine...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No you do NOT have to run synthetic oil in a DS... If you do however make sure it is safe for wet clutches. Standard auto synthetics contain friction modifiers that will cause your clutch to slip. Pretty much all motorcyle synthetics state they are safe for wet clutches. If you don't want to spend the money on synthetics just use a good quality dino oil such as Castrol GTX 10w40 and call it good. My bro has been running this in his DS for a few years now.

If you use a K&N make sure to use an outerwear. If you frequently ride in dusty conditions than a foam fileter such as a uni is probably a better option.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you.
I bought a few litres of the brp syn blend stuff (@ $13.99ea!), I love getting ripped off in this town. I also ordered a K&N online.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah it is expensive. Next time try to get the 1 gallon bottle. It is a little cheaper - Just under $50 with shipping. Even cheaper if you have a local dealer.

BRP 4 Stroke Synthetic Blend Oil Gallon At Parker Yamaha Com

Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

I think by time i got it shipped to me, have to pay tax on it id pretty much break even, too bad those are good prices on that site.

Quick Reply: Maintenance (DS650)