CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can we talk about sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011 | 07:29 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Can we talk about sprockets

ok go!!!....hahaha ..i dont have much to say about this so teach me..

why make changes? performance differences? need a new chain? top speed?

best combo ?

thanks again

Old 05-13-2011 | 07:46 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

I'd say there's 3 reasons to make the change. You want more top end, you want more bottom end and they're just worn out.

Going up on the front gives you a little more top end, down gives you more bottom end. The number of teeth you change to will determine how much. You can change the number on the rear instead. Just the opposite applies. I always did the front just so I didn't have to take off a wheel. While you're doing that, if you don't have a case saver, I'd say put one on.

Old 05-13-2011 | 09:40 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Here you go: Gearing Calculator
Should be able to answer every question you have about gearing just by inputing a few numbers!

Old 05-13-2011 | 01:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

ok ....i see the gear calc...but what does that show me besides speed..what the real application for change...front stock is 16...were do people go from there and why...and will i need a new chain?

Old 05-13-2011 | 01:28 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

What are you riding, and what type (dunes, trails, mud) of riding are you going to be mainly doing?

Just me, but you might be spending some good money (depending on the brand you get) on sprockets. Why cheap out and use an old chain?

Unless the chain is fairly new.

Old 05-14-2011 | 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.

To understand gearing go ride a bicycle with gears. It's hard to take off in 10th gear but you can get alot of top speed. Take off in 1st gear and you have more power but have no top speed. Think of you engine rpm compared to how fast you have to pedal a bike.

Old 05-14-2011 | 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

and theres that 520 chain conversion which gives you more performance (less reciprocating weight) some people say you will get the same performance as doing an air filter an a pipe (and jetts)

Old 05-14-2011 | 10:53 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

The calculator shows the speed for each gear with the different tire size and defferent sprocket combinations. Less speed=more torque. It will give you an idea of what to expect with changes you may want to make.

Old 05-14-2011 | 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

How well does the 520 conversion hold up?

Old 05-14-2011 | 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

im not sure im still running the 530 i can't ee it being any different considering the 520 is the same as the 530 its just the 520 in narrower.

Do you guys have trouble keeping your chain at the proper adjustment? I was at my buddys farm, hes got a track and a bunch of acreage to ride on, we were doing alot of jumps and wheelies that sort of stuff and i got home and stretched my chain and theres almost no adjustment left. The chain is about 4 months old to.

BTW the chain is a D.I.D 50 VA (530)

Quick Reply: Can we talk about sprockets