CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

live without reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default live without reverse?

Hello, I want to get a ds450 but dont know if I can handle not having reverse. I have a 250ex now(with reverse)and all my atv's before it have also had reverse. I mostly ride wooded trails and do alot of exploring. I find myself using reverse quite a bit. So for those of you that have went from one to the other did you find yourself missing reverse or just loved the bike so much you got over it quickly? This is the only issue holding me back from gettn one. Thanx for your help!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

It sounds to me like you better stick to something with reverse. I went from reverse to not having reverse and I miss it. I didn't ride a lot of trails after I switched over to no reverse so that made it easier but it is still nice. I think if I were you I would look at KFX450 or a Polaris with the KTM engine. The Suzuki Z400's are also bullet proof.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

rev. definetly has its advanages but all you need is 6sqf to kick the rear around I do alot of trail riding though if you go wandering I would get rev. 400 would be good class or a rapter

Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

I wish I had reverse but I get by without it.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

I've bought a number of ATVs for myself and our family over the last ten years. 250 EX, 400EX, YFZ 450s (three of them), DS 650s (three of them), Polaris Scrambler, Polaris Sportsman, Yamaha Grizzly (four or them), Yamaha Wolverine, Yamaha Raptor (both a 250 and a 660) Yamaha Banshee, Arctic Cat ThunderCat, Kawasaki Prairie 650 and 700, Kawasaki V-Force 700 (two of them), Can Am Renegade (two of them), a Can Am Outlander, and a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Basically, on the small sport quads you don't need reverse. On the big utility ATVs you do need reverse, and on the big sport quads like the V-Force you do need reverse. On a big sport quad like a DS 650 it would be nice to have, but still isn't necessary. I ride trails, and I would never let reverse gear be the deciding factor on a 450 sport quad. There are so many other factors that are more important, like power, handling, suspension, the dealership, reliability of the ATV, etc. Reverse is no big deal, it isn't even on the list of things I look at when buying a 450 sport quad. If you want the DS 450 dont let the lack of a reverse gear stop you from buying it.

Oh, and by the way, I spent last weekend switching between one son's YFZ 450 and the other son's DS 450. I greatly prefer the DS 450, it has better suspension and much better handling. It also has much better ergonomics, and is a lot more comfortable to ride. The DS 450 is a great ATV.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

can't get anywhere going backwards, lack of reverse just sends me farther forward!
just think ahead before you stop and in that once in a while situation the time it takes to jump off and yank her around is typically faster than the guys shifting into reverse and backing up and going back to 1st, its really no big deal at least not for me.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

had alot of atvs without reverse you just adapt...you always park where you can just pull out and you find places to do a quick 360 in.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off the front fenders, and BAM, you got foot power reverse. Does not work well in the sand!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with most. Don't let reverse keep you from a great bike. You will miss it but you'll adapt and find ways to ride without needing it. I do some trail riding and have only had to lift the bike up twice in over 3 years. For me, the lack of reverse is a pain because I park in a barn with one entrance and don't have enough room to swing it around. I have to literally lift and slide 550 lbs every time I put it away. It's alright now because i'm still in good shape. When I get a bit older it might become an issue. Get a nice extended grab bar for the back and it will help.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

If you love the bike go without reverse. But make sure you can pull it out of a big rut. I have a bike with reverse. Do i use it. NO

Quick Reply: live without reverse?