CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Yet another carb/float question. DS650

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another carb/float question. DS650

I'be been using the search tool and have also read OMR's carb thread, but I have some questions/comments as I don't have a repair manual yet, and I'm learning the names of the carb parts from a Canadian website with exploded views of the carb. The descriptions are not the greatest.

I just bought a 2000 DS650 (my 1st quad ever). With the petcock open, and engine not running, gas is leaking out of the bowl drain. The bike runs pretty good as far as I can tell. My GPS tells me I was hitting just shy of 60mph flying down a sand wash. I took the carb apart today and replaced the o-ring on the bottom of the float seat. The bowl screw had some decent rust accumulated on the tip of the screw, but I believe that should not matter as the screw seats against the bowl farther up on the tapered section. I took the carb completely apart and sprayed carb cleaner and blew out all the passages with compressed air.

My question really is about the two other rubber tubes that come out of the SIDE of the carb. Are these both overflows? So if I don't have gas flowing out of the overflows on the side, I probably have the float set in a decent range? The reason I ask is that I wanted to verify the float height, but I'm confused. Most of the descriptions here seem to indicate that the float should be close to level with the carb body, but mine is WAY off. OMR's description should be that the is about .080" difference between the measurement at the pinned isde of the flat and the other end. I will actually measure mine later tonight if I can, but it looked more like .25" difference! If the float is not necessaraly level with the carb body, then do I use the stock float height measurement of 10mm (.394") at the end of the float away from the pinned end?

I'm not a mechanical idiot. I've built old muscle cars, rebuilt Holly carbs, and I even used to rebuild the carbs in my 135 Johnson outboard motor, but I need a little help here until I pick up a repair manual.

I think I will try the clear hose trick on the bowl drain to see where the fuel level sits relative to the bowl.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Range Rover

Inspected/measured parts in the carb last night.

main jet is 165 (stock I believe)

pilot jet is 32.5 (I thought stock was 40?)

I exaggereted the float hieght differrence in my 1st post, it measured out to be .180 with my calipers. More than double what ORM says it should be. Not sure why.

Slide spring has 27 coils, but it is about 4.25 inches long. Seems much longer than the lengths posted in the stock carb mods post.

FYI. I do NOT have the airbox installed. Open element UNI filter, soon to remove the balance tube from the carb inlet boot and attach it to a breater filter and cap the end in the carb boot. My bike is a 2000, but the exhaust is from a later DS that has the aluminum shield on it (don't know if it flows different?) I was told that someone replaced the exhaust packing for better flow??
Elevation here is around 1,100 ft. I was thinking of trying a 180 main jet. Any thoughts?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Range Rover

Alright, I'm going to humble myself. I've figured out that everytime I buy a new toy and start up with a new forum to post to, I have to learn the "lingo" and etiquette before my posts fit in. I have a tendency to provide lots of information, and that can turn people off from replying.

I have lurked on this site for more than a month, and I like it. Now that I'm digging into my DS, I need some help from you experts. So, fire away and let me know what I might do different to get my questions across better.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer

Can't help you here. In the past, Ive tinkered around with some bikes but no longer have the time or patience to do it anymore. I've learned from experience that if it runs great, don't mess with it. That's why mine is mostly stock with a few exceptions. Good luck with it.