CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Idled 2000 DS650

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idled 2000 DS650

I am getting ready to fire up the DS650 after its been sitting for 3-4 years. Other than fresh fuel and oil what are the do's and don't do's in this process?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fire it up!

If it's been sitting untouched for that long, I'm sure your battery is shot. That would be the first thing to look at. You could try to trickle charge it first but if the battery is weak it will not start. Than oil change and oil filter replacement.
Check your antifreeze. Replace the plugs. Clean the air filter real good. Drain the fuel tank completely. Than you should be up and running. Good Luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default Also...

Almost forgot. Check the tire pressure.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Range Rover

Depending on where it was stored, all the grease in bearings and bushings is probably dried up and hard. At minimum, grease all the zerk fittings. You might want to pull the axle and check the rear axle bearings and repack/replace the bearings.

Completely flush the brake fluid with new from a unopened container. Replace the antifreeze rather than just check it. Pull the carb, and clean with carb cleaner and blow out all the passages.

For what it's worth.... I helped a friend start a small block chevy that had been setting for 5+ years out in a field. We pulled all the plugs, spured about a capful of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and let it set overnight. We cranked it over with the plugs out for 10-15 seconds before putting the plugs back in. I would use about a half capful or less in the Bomb cylinder.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by PapaWheelie
Depending on where it was stored, all the grease in bearings and bushings is probably dried up and hard. At minimum, grease all the zerk fittings. You might want to pull the axle and check the rear axle bearings and repack/replace the bearings.

Completely flush the brake fluid with new from a unopened container. Replace the antifreeze rather than just check it. Pull the carb, and clean with carb cleaner and blow out all the passages.

For what it's worth.... I helped a friend start a small block chevy that had been setting for 5+ years out in a field. We pulled all the plugs, spured about a capful of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and let it set overnight. We cranked it over with the plugs out for 10-15 seconds before putting the plugs back in. I would use about a half capful or less in the Bomb cylinder.
I was wondering about the cylinder walls, the Marvel oil sounds like a good idea. Its been parked in the garage, not climate controlled but not freezing or extremely hot either. Can't seem to locate my service manual so will probably just find one on the internet and download it. I have had a Battery Tender on it the entire time so hopefully the battery isn't toast, good test for both I guess. Good suggestion on the brake fluid, grease fittings and coolant. Tires a bit low on air and its dusty but wasn't 'put away wet', it was running pretty good when I parked it.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was stored that long with fuel in the carb there is about a 100% chance the carb is gummed up. Take it off and give it a good cleaning...

Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by DSengineer
If it was stored that long with fuel in the carb there is about a 100% chance the carb is gummed up. Take it off and give it a good cleaning...
Pretty sure that I drained the carb by shutting off the fuel and running it until it died so that should help some. I do that with anything that could be sitting a while and has a fuel shut off, it seems to help the next time I fire it up.