CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Renegade 500 slow take off

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Location: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renegade 500 slow take off

Hello all we have a 2009 Renegade 500 that is sluggish on take off, it runs well, starts easy, runs well at speeds, seems to top out a little over 60mph. But, it's a dog off the line and at low speeds, hard to brake the back end lose and power slide.
It has new plugs, new air filter, I checked the fuel pressure at the line coming out of fuel tank before splitter (Y) 50psi, at start, idle and during rev up, I think this is correct for this bike. No back-firing, or smoke. I'm not sure what else to try, it's like it's been retarded for some reason.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default not one thought .....

Originally Posted by bigwave
Hello all we have a 2009 Renegade 500 that is sluggish on take off, it runs well, starts easy, runs well at speeds, seems to top out a little over 60mph. But, it's a dog off the line and at low speeds, hard to brake the back end lose and power slide.
It has new plugs, new air filter, I checked the fuel pressure at the line coming out of fuel tank before splitter (Y) 50psi, at start, idle and during rev up, I think this is correct for this bike. No back-firing, or smoke. I'm not sure what else to try, it's like it's been retarded for some reason.
I figured by now one of you wizzards might have come up with something for me:-) Oh and by "retarded" I am referring to the timing or some sensor being slowed down by a computer program or some setting; but I know you all understood that. Cleaned air filter tonight and fuel air valve. Years ago I had a poloaris scrambler, great bike, but from new it would run great for a few hours then die and not want to restart or run worth a crap for a few hours. Took to three different dealers and no one could find the problem. Finally one smart dude told me to track down the fuel air tube, turns out it was too long and stuck down the steering shaft all the way to bottom, everytime I'd go through a little water or mud it would plug the tube and as soon as the carb couldn't draw enough air she stop running. Pulled tube out clipped in half and never another problem. Any way, any ideas would be appreciated. Thannks

Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure. Try Can-Amtalk.com. Bunch of Can-Am techs on that site who might have an idea.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Thanks will do

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Not sure. Try Can-Amtalk.com. Bunch of Can-Am techs on that site who might have an idea.
Thanks I'll give them a try.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its the nature of the best, a 500cc displacement is small for a twin 4 stroke. Sure its has the most hp in its class but it needs more rpm than a 500 thumper single would to produce it.
I Read many shootouts with the 500 twin and its only down fall is it has less bottom end torque (grunt) then the singles for slow technical trail riding.

Away to improve thing is to get a clutch kit that carters to the lower rpm power band, like people do when they switch to heavy 27" tires and run into the same low end power problem.

Its like this, a 70hp Harley twin can take off from a dead stop from a roll on idle while in 2nd gear but a 4 cylinder 600cc 120hp rice rocket would need to be screamed out with the clutch popped to do it. Thats the differance between torque and hp.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the clutch cover off and make sure the belt and CVT are working and the belt travels it's full range in the pulleys. If it looks ok try a differnt spring.
Go to Canam.com, someone there can tell you what color of spring to try.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default It has a new clutch kit and belt on it

Originally Posted by Dazeys
Pull the clutch cover off and make sure the belt and CVT are working and the belt travels it's full range in the pulleys. If it looks ok try a differnt spring.
Go to Canam.com, someone there can tell you what color of spring to try.
My son did have a new clutch kit put on it; it raised the enguagement point by 800-1000 RPMs and I've already had to put a new back window in my truck due to that, yes I was PO'd, but the thing still is what I'd cinsider sluggish from low rpms.
We just put a new belt on it as well, and have had no slipage, it also has new tires on it but they are stock size.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The 500 Renegade is not sluggish in stock form. I had my son race me with his Renegade against my X2. We went about 50 yards from a dead stop. He had 6-7 lengths on me. It's quick for a belt driven quad. I'm not up on the technical end of things but from what you are describing it's anything but normal for the quad.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glad to here that

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The 500 Renegade is not sluggish in stock form. I had my son race me with his Renegade against my X2. We went about 50 yards from a dead stop. He had 6-7 lengths on me. It's quick for a belt driven quad. I'm not up on the technical end of things but from what you are describing it's anything but normal for the quad.
I think it should be more than what it currently is; I'm just not sure what else to check. It runs well, starts right up, top speed is 60 plus, no back-firing or other funny stuff. Just looking for ideas.