CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Fine Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 Fine Tuning

Hey all, I have an 01 DS650, and I havent had it very long. I have done everything over on it, and I have found that a rejetting was in order. Everything is stock except it has a foam UNI filter and a slip on FMF muffler. I got the dynojet kit, and installed the needle on second slot and 180 main jet as recommend. Frankly, the bike was very slow. I then dropped the needle clip down to the 4th slot, and put in a 185 jet. I also upped the pilot to the next size up. This made a big difference, especially in the mid range, but my high is still pretty week feeling, there is no acceleration from the last 3/4 of the throttle, and I cant get it over 5200 revs in 5th gear. I did a full throttle kill and checked my plugs, and they were black on the outside, but the electrode still looked lean and a little white. I am just a little concerned because the bike seems to want more fuel, but it seems strange considering I am at low elevation and no real mods.... can anyone provide any thoughts? Should I just keep upping the jet size? I cant really get this bike up past 58 mph... Only thing is 16 front sprocket, and 22 rear wheels because I run mostly roads.... so its geared for speed.... but thats shouldnt be effecting me this badly. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2004 and just put on a big gun slip on, big gun cdi and jet kit. I started with 180 main and needle in 2nd groove as directed by dynojet instructions.
I checked plug and it was wayyy lean, I put needle in 3rd groove and put in 190 main jet, only got to ride for 15-20 mins and checked plug, was starting to turn tan'ish. Went out for a bit tonight but havent checked plugs yet.

Im only at 2200ft. I cant get a seal on the slip on pipe connection yet but I also notice the top end is pretty weak, low/mid seem fairly torqy tho. Not sure on speed either.

Im just going to keep checking plugs and playing with needle and main, i dont have any other size pilots or anything else either.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had to buy a 127.5 pilot because it was taking way too many turns of the idle mixture screw to get it to stop idling lean and popping on decel. I guess if the plugs say its lean, then its lean... as long as there are no air leaks on the intake or the head then I guess more fuel is ok. I have a 185 in now, so I may jump up to the 190 or 195.... not sure how big of a step to make