CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Chain loose! DS650

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain loose! DS650

Hey guys, I cannot tighten my chain to the proper tension anymore.. I thought the old chain was stretched so I bought a new chain and sprockets but I'm still having the same problem. I replaced the rear bearings recently and I think the problem started after that. I have no idea what I could have done wrong. There's probably 1 1/2 to 2 inches of play at the tightest point and at that point its pushing the sprocket and brake disc into the guards. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help. It's one thing after another with this bike lately. :s

Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

OEM size sprockets and OE guards? If it's an aftermarket swingarm skid plate is it bent? They don't normaly rub unless bent. How many links did the old chain have and how many on the new chain?
Is the bearing carrier moving properly?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

It started before I bought new sprockets and chain and continued after. I believe they're all stock guards. Not sure why there's so much slack in the chain though.. I've been riding it for a few weeks this way and I haven't really felt, heard or seen any problems other than the loose chain bouncing around. Axle spins fine and no play in it. . It really doesn't make sense. Not sure how many links but both chains are the same (Same problem with old and new chain) I really think something happened when I changed the bearings because before that I was able to tighten the chain to zero slack and the sprocket and disc definitely didn't jam into the guards. Actually, after putting it back together I don't think I was even able to get all 4 bolts through the guards! Like the whole axle shifted down

Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Have you jacked up the swing arm to get all the weight off of it and then check for any play in the axle? If you have no side to side slop and no axle wobble then you should be able to just remove a few links to correct this issue. Ensure that your bearing carrier is properly positoned before you shorten the chain.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

Ya I checked and there is no play at all. Ok so I guess I'll pop out a few links.. I'm not exactly sure where the carrier should be positioned though. Right now the 3 holes for adjustment are towards the front of the bike and up a bit. When I get a chance today or tomorrow I'm going to take a closer look at things and maybe take some pics.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

Popped a link out and it's fine now However, I did notice there's quite a bit of play in the swingarm. Maybe the bearings/bushings are done??