CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need help with 05 ds650x

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help with 05 ds650x

My ds seems be revving out to fast thru my gears it seems like I am going thru 1,2,3 way to fast then what it use to be. Any ideas or tips? Please help.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Range Rover

your air screw was out of adjustment, (lean) and now that its hot it is in tune or closer. 2nd explanation you had some dirt lodged in the carb that got dislodged . clean the carb, make sure your air screw is adjusted rite.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright thanks this will be the third time cleaning it 2nd I knew I had dirt lodged in there I also have the dial a jet kit on there which I don't like cause it's confusing to me lol it also seems more snappier like quicker throttle response I'd take it the the dealer to look at it but don't have 90 bucks an hour for them to tinker with it lol.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Range Rover

who installed the dial a jet? was the right main jet used, i'm not exactly sure but i know it should be smaller. to adjust your air screw. when the engine is idling, turn the screw (bottom center on the front. sets up in the hole) turn until the motor starts to die, count the turns, go back to where you started, go the other direction until it starts to die (idle goes down) then set it in the middle. then i ride it then turn a 1/4 either way run it and if its better try another 1/4 until it gets worse then turn it back 1/8 at a time until it runs the best,

Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

The dial a jet was installed when I baught it. Is it a pointless mod someone put on ?can I tell by my spark plugs if it's to Rich or lean last time I had my plugs out they had a whitish look I just baught the machine in febuary and only rode like 5 times total of maybe 10 hours.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by brian 68
who installed the dial a jet? was the right main jet used, i'm not exactly sure but i know it should be smaller. to adjust your air screw. when the engine is idling, turn the screw (bottom center on the front. sets up in the hole) turn until the motor starts to die, count the turns, go back to where you started, go the other direction until it starts to die (idle goes down) then set it in the middle. then i ride it then turn a 1/4 either way run it and if its better try another 1/4 until it gets worse then turn it back 1/8 at a time until it runs the best,
When you are finding the initial air screw setting, it is easier if you turn the idle down first. If you don't have a tach or you don't feel confortable setting the idle by ear and feel, then don't change the idle setting. If you turn the idle down before messing with the air screw, you will get better results (easier to tell when it's starting to die)

Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

All thanks that helps a lot never messed with a carb before just cleaned it I have a tach just received my trail tech voyager today.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

All thanks that helps a lot never messed with a carb before just cleaned it I have a tach just received my trail tech voyager today.About my spark plugs what does it mean if they are a whitish color?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

white = lean black= rich slight orange white = leaking head gasket light brown= just right
most of the time if it is out of adjustment it will run hot. if it idles fine, adjust air screw, then main. run it wot down a long straight, pull in the clutch hit the kill switch, let it drift to a stop. then pull the plug , check for rich/ lean . then if you change mains, fine tune your air screw one more time. even if your main looks good try 1 size either way to see if it runs better. when tuning make sure you run it long enough to get up to normal temp.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll have to look again I think they are a whitish color but myachine definitely runs hot it gets hot pretty fast I didn't know if it was normal or this is my first performance machine so I figured it was normal.