CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2000 ds650 Starting Problems NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ds650 Starting Problems NEED HELP!!

hi there i have a 2000 ds650 that will not start and making a noise (clip included) bought it as a claimed top end issue which it might be. i took off the head and attempted to take off the timing chain, but even when it was loosened it wouldnt come off. i thought that this could be that the piston was seized but i put it all back together and hit the start button and it made a noise but the piston was moving as it was moving the screw driver up and down that was in the spark plug whole. i stopped and tried again and the piston wouldnt move. i do not know if the starter is shot or top end problem i included a little video of me cranking it over a few times. i know i dont have the gas tank on i tried before and it wouldnt start with it on. this is just for sound and to see if anyone knows what could be wrong?!?!
could it be the starter bad, seized or bad piston, or bad crank bearings? please help
hope this made sense
CHEERS

could not upload file here find it at

Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

sounds like a dead battery to me. sounds like mine did when I brought it home from shop other day. jumped it with 12v battery.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Range Rover

is the plug out in the video? try a good full charged battery first . but if it moved sometimes but not consistantly . does your starter sound like it is working? you may need a sprag clutch.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi everyone just got in from the garage took the starter off and hooked it up to my boat battery turned over no problem very fast. took off the atv battery and hooked it up and she hardly moved. i charged the boat and the atv battery at the same time so i think the baterry is done will get it checked and either charged or new one tomorrow. BUT i got currious stuck my finger in where the end of the starter goes and found the gear the starter connects to. i could move it in and out not sure if this is normal but i took the stator cover off and looked to complicated for me sp put it back on. stator didnt look bad from my knowledge but i dont really know.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by brian 68
is the plug out in the video? try a good full charged battery first . but if it moved sometimes but not consistantly . does your starter sound like it is working? you may need a sprag clutch.
both plugs are out yes. cant remember if i had one in when the piston was moving or not, also not sure if one needs to be in for it to work (rookie) can you clarify this. also starter seems fine took it out and hooked it up to boat battery. the only thing i found which im not sure if its suppose to be like that is where the end of the starter hooks up to the gears that gear is loose can wiggle it in and out. hope that made sense.
cheers

Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

i asked about the plug because with it out it should spin freely. and of course would sound different. if your battery is good and your starter. the sprag one way bearing is prone to failure. they take alot of abuse. you have to pull the flywheel it sits in the hub that the flywheel attaches to . there is a complete kit on ebay for $ 329.00 . first change the oil incase there is any metal in there. then try to drift start it, if it runs then your sprag is bad. assuming you have ruled out the battery and starter.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

heres the update i just bought a new battery, hooked the starter back up and it sounds normal. and the pistons now move. i am going to do a compression test today or tomorrow depends if i can catch my neighbor who has the tool or not. im thinking it might have low compression as thats what i bought it as but with the low battery the piston wasnt even moving. if its not decent compression and still doesnt start i will look into the SPRAG ONE-WAY STARTER CLUTCH kit on ebay. i did change the oil and didnt see any metal bits though. i have read that there is a screen that should be cleaned but could never find it could someone try to tell me where i can find this? thanks everyone for suggestions and help MUCH appreciated
will update tomorrow if i get the compression tester
CHEERS

Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

if it turns over now then your sprag clutch is good. check spark , and fuel. if it has spark. then try pouring a little gas in the cylinder and see if it runs for a second or so. if so then your carb may be the issue.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just bought a compression tester and tested it out got 0 compression when i preformed the test. not sure if i did it wring or what. what i did was put 1 spark plug in the one whole and the tester in the other then cranked it over. let me know if i did this wrong as it was my first time. also i took off the tester and put my thumb on the spark plug hole and there was not much compression. could this be my only problem ? if so should i bore the cylinder even if it doesnt need it if so to what size ? thanks everyone
CHEERS

Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

first check your valves make sure they are not to tight. maybe your valves are not closing. if not you are going to have to pull the head something is wrong. even weak rings should have some compression. i would send the head and have it relined . millenium tech. does good work. and get a 11.5.1 piston. if your piston is damaged have the head looked at also. btw that is if the compression tester is working right.

Quick Reply: 2000 ds650 Starting Problems NEED HELP!!