CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds 650 shocks+(lowering) advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ds 650 shocks+(lowering) advice

Hey guys! I have a 2000 Ds 650 and i want to lower it but dont want to get hit heavy on the wallet. I was wondering if there were other atv stock shocks that are lower that would fit or some i could do to without buying high priced shocks. Thank you.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

not sure how low you wanna go or why you wanna lower it,
but I would start by first setting up the shock you have for your rider weight. Odds are it is not set up correctly for you, and you never know, if you you do set it up right you might like it?

Ride height is greatly effected by your shock's "sag". The spring tension sets the sag. The sag must be set for the rider weight. Compression and rebound settings can vary based on terrain and riding style, i.e. track, cross country, or dunes, but sag should never be changed once set for the particular rider.

The basic rule of thumb for sag is to to have 1/3 of the shock compressed when you are sitting in your normal riding position.

To measure sag, lift the bike until the suspension is fully extended, stop lifting before the wheels leave the floor, measure from bumper to floor. Get on it, roll it back and forth a bit to settle everything, and have somebody measure from the exact same location as before to the floor with you sitting in normal ride position. The difference between two measurements is sag.

You want 1/3 sag, and in the case of the DS's nearly foot of shock travel, about 4". To adjust, lube the threads with penetrating oil, loosen the top lock nut, grab the spring in hand and turn it to rotate the nut it is against.

Having more then 1/3 sag will lower the bike more, but the cost will be more bottoming out during aggressive riding.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

If you only want to lower it for say driving on roads or something etc what i have done in the past...mind you i have a ds650 baja x with different shocks i can sag my shocks out so my a arms are 90 degrees strait out.....not gonna lower it or widen it anymore than that without different rims or a arms.