CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Member, Need Heeeeelp!! DS 650

Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, Need Heeeeelp!! DS 650

Hi all,
I'm new to the connection, and am hoping to get a little help with some electrical issues i've been having with my 04 DS650.
I bought the bike and it ran strong for a whole season, then after a 3-4 hour run it started to run rough like it was starving for fuel.
Checked the carb no fuel issues, went to start the bike again and the battery was stone dead. Got the bike home and attempted to charge the battery, no luck.
The bike would start and run no issues with a booster pack, but once disconnected the bike would die immediately.
So I started trying to find the issue with the charging system, started with a new regulator/rectifier, would start and run with a booster pack, then die once removed.
I moved on and changed the stator and battery, this is where it gets interesting, the bike fired up and ran without the booster pack but when I attempted to rev up the bike it burnt a hole through the top of the cdi. I should mention that I did not have the battery in the bike at this time (I know rookie mistake) it was still charging, I just wanted to test the stator and see if the bike would run on its own.

I put a new cdi on the bike and fired it up again, it started with no issues and ran for about 40 seconds and stalled. Went to start it again NO SPARK. Now with the just the key switch on the cdi gets too hot to touch.

I have exposed every wire in the harness, purchased a good manual with a good wiring diagram (the system isn't terribly complicated) and have found no wires frayed or burnt. I've check all connectors, look to be in good shape, tested coils, on/off switch, reg/rec, stator, pickup coil, all grounds, I even added a ground cable from the motor to the frame, tested for continuity in all hot wires (reds) and all grounds (blacks) and all tests good and seems to be doing what it should. The only issue I was able to find was the key switch is only supposed to have 0.6 OHMS going across it max. and mine was around 49 OHMS, so i replaced it with a toggle switch, but the CDI is still getting hot with just the toggle switch on.

I have purchased another CDI and reg/rec but i am scared to hook them up and have them fry as well.

I really, really, really need some help here trying to expose my electrical gremlin and get my machine back where it belongs, eating raptors for breakfast. I'm hoping someone out there can help, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuses, they are under the seat on both sides of the airbox. Next try to start it with the gas cap off and see what happen there.

Just throwing in some possablities to check.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

BioWare,

I already checked the fuses, forgot to mention that in the novel I wrote above, they were both good (I did a continuity check just to be sure), and there is definitely fuel getting to the carb, no issues with the fuel cap vents.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Originally Posted by Billiam_39
BioWare,

I already checked the fuses, forgot to mention that in the novel I wrote above, they were both good (I did a continuity check just to be sure), and there is definitely fuel getting to the carb, no issues with the fuel cap vents.

I think there is one more fuse by the battery on the back side, its a gray round cylinder?
Make sure to have the right cranking amps battery that might be a problem also, the DS650 needs alot of juice to turn over.

Its been awhile since i have had my DS650. I have some parts if you need some.
Filter
baja light housings

Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

. try unhooking the hot terminal on the battery and do a continuity test if it ohms out you have a short some where . then try seperating the positive system and check it to ground until you get it. also take the switches off the handlebars and check them. had a light switch wire come lose once. btw did you check/ change the solenoid.i would think to burn things up that fast would have to be mayor short or regulator.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like one of the wires on the handlebars is shorted..

Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

You get it fixed yet?