CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

another dead fan!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it was finally my turn to experiance this unfortunate circumstance, thankfully I wasn't too far from my truck and caught it befor any damage was done. With the on set of spring and warmer temps, my ride this weekend was cut short by the engine overheating and the indicator light coming on. Back at home I tore out the fan after unsuccessfully trying to jump it directly from the battery. Upon opening it I found 3 of the 4 leads to the carbon brushes had become disconnected - I spent an hour trying to repair the thing but found that reassembly of unit was quite impossible.
We have a serious vibration issue as Crashfirepm53
has pointed out in past post. This is something every bomb owner that rides agressively needs to pay attention to befor you do damage to your motor.
I spoke with a guy named Terry at Spal(OEM OF THE FAN) - he is very familiar with the application of their product on the bike and suggest finding a way to isolate the fan from vibration as much as possible. Also this same fan is used in certain medical application and in such has excellent longivity.
NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS-
My dealer wanted $139.00 for the unit , it is available for $79.00(waterproof unit -delivered) from
OFF ROAD WAREHOUSE in San Diego, CA. 800-341-7757
talk to KEITH
delivery time about 5 business days. I am also ordering the replacement sensor and may need the sending unit as well ( I'm guessing there's a relay somewhere)Hopefully I'll be back up and operational by the weekend -keep this contact info , you never know when you'll need it!

Old 03-30-2001, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

New fan arrived today from SPAL it even has the right connectors!
part # is 30100533
delivered for $79.00 we'll see how long this one lasts!

Old 06-08-2001, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't know how to create a link to this old post but this should bump it back up and make the info available.
BTW - the fan is running great!

Old 06-08-2001, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for info, Magorecho!My fan was out when I got my DS new.You are right about never knowing when you will need this info.Also the chainroller.

Old 07-01-2001, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

I think I'll get two, one pusher for in front, it looks like there is room, Might have to move the brake line, and cut a nice hole in the screen. New Mexico is ususally a lot warmer than Canada. Mine was steaming yesterday. By the time it cooled off it had sucked all the coolant back into the radiator, and only needed a couple of tablespoons of water to top it off. Another reason to NEVER open a hot radiator. That fan is toast. I think I'm still under warranty, maybe I can get one for free.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2001, 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

When you install that extra fan, try and post some pics on the internet for everyone to see. I might like to copy the work of someone who can make a boat out of oil drums.

Have you seen the posts about the Engine Ice and 40 Below? I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had similar good results. It sounds like a good thing to add.

Old 07-08-2001, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

I talked to Keith at OffRoad Warehouse, ordered the replacement fan, which will be drop shipped from SPAL for $59.95 + tax!? I told him I'd like to add a second fan in front, a pusher. He said go to the web site offroadwarehouse.com and pick out a fan. Lots of technical information, dimensions, specifications. I'm looking at the 7.5" pusher, model # 30100393 for $ 71.95. I'm pretty sure it will fit, with a slight move of the brake line and a big hole in the screen, which will double as the mounting bracket for the fan with a few tabs MIG welded on. This should help keep the stock fan from overheating, and be immune to the radiant heat off the exhaust which I'm sure is part of the reason these fans are dying. This won't get done before Pismo, but I won't need it there. But in this part of the world, New Mexico, this fan thing is the Achilles Heel of the DS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]