CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Got the TB A arms, got any install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Timmy Boy A arms arrived yesterday and I'll be putting them on soon, TB only send very general install instructions with a couple of recomendations for castor and camber. I haven't done A arm setup on a quad before so any tips are appreciated. Where's the best point to measure the castor and camber? take these measurements at full dorp or while siting with weight on it? Thanks again

Old 04-10-2001, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short of having an alignment rack, it was actually pretty easy. Figure 2 hours goofing around. First we lifted the front end up on a milk crate, don't bother. Since you're not touching the shocks and lower A-arms, it is easier to just leave the DS sitting there so you can sit on it to make your adjustments later. I knew I wanted about as much caster as I could get out of the Timmy Boy upper A-arms, so I set them as far out in front as I could and as far in at the back as I could, (minus about 2 turns for adjustment) I lined up the ball joints with the angle of the shocks themselves, that's probably 10 degrees caster, Then, lining up the camber, that is the tilt to the side, in or out, is best done by lining the front wheel up with the back wheel, looking at it from the front and adjusting the ball joint accordingly. If the front is canted out at the bottom just a smidge, with somebody on it, that is about right. The Baja DS called for 1 degee of camber. Toe-in, or Toe-out is a running debate. The Baja DS ran 3/8"
toe-in, that can be measured with a tpe measure, center of front tires in front and in back. 3/8" toe-in meaning the distance is 3/8" less at the front of the front tires than at the back of the front tires. I am running 1/8" toe-out. I may change to Baja specs or just work my way that direction. The Timmy Boys are works of art. They are a joy to adjust. Being able to determine your own handling charactaristics is fantastic.
I've got Works Steeler Shocks coming to finish off the front end mods.