CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2016 Can-Am Renegade 1000 & Commander Max

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my son and I have been looking at the Predator for a while now. As stated previously, I am not concerned with speed, jumping ability etc. I had a sport quad for that stuff, and sadly, it had not seen much use over the past few years other than one of the boys taking it for a spin once in a while, so I sold it. Niether of my sons really were interested in ATV riding anymore anyway. They have moved on to fast cars.

I have discovered that in my Old age, I like comfort, and I like to enjoy the scenery at a more liesurely pace. Power steering is definately a plus. I am really only looking at another quad because my Rubicon is showing its age, and doesn't have 2 wheel drive capability, and without EPS, it is a real tank to steer at low speed. Throw in the jerk-a-jerk front diff, and it becomes a chore these old bones don't really want to mess with any more.

I test rode a Grizzly with EPS and found what I definately needed, but am also looking at the Can-Ams because those big *** mud tires that the HMR's have really appeal to me because my machine has to work around the house as much if not more than the occasional trail ride. And traction is something my Rubicon is lacking. Which brings me back to the original question. I have heard on more than one occasion, that the stock Predator and regular outlanders have issues with rear differentials. Evidently the people are replacing them with ones from the HMRs, as they are beefier all around, and have stronger axles to go with them. So this is the reason I have looked at them. I really like the beast 1000 HMR that is longer becuase it is built on the Max two seater chassis, but I really like the 800 class motors, and don't really know if I really need the 1000. For the extra cost, that is a big difference.

I also see guys do a lot of transmission/clutch mods. And EVERYONE throws away the stock belts and buys the upgraded one. For the price these things are these days, I can't understand why Can-Am even messes around with the junk belt and just put on the better one at the factory... Yeah I get it, a way to charge you more money and make you mod the machine.

Anyway, I am looking at the predator because it is lighter, which is a very big deal for me. After open heart surgery, I am not feeling it when it comes to muscleing a big machine out of a mud hole or loading on a trailer. Lighter is better.

I have considered the 6 wheel drive machine... and may just go ahead and spring for one of those, but that means I'd have to get a new larger trailer. And when woods riding, it can be a chore to get around trees with. Dang thing is 10 ft long.

Also am wanting to consider a SxS. Mrs DB is fighting me on that, as she wants to control her own machine, and likes ATV's versus riding in the "Truck" she call them. But when I am outside pushing snow while she is inside making cookies, having a full heated cab would be nice. Given the cost of fully equiping one of the new defenders with cab, heater and plows, along with all teh protection bars and metal pan, I am getting into that $30K range, and I'd be much better off with a full on tractor at that point. Not much good on trail riding, but a whole lot better plowing snow and mowing grass, digging etc with.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

Hey moose, not sure where you ride, but when I go trail riding out East, it usually includes a stop at a local watering hole for food and beverages... Non alcoholic of course. Like my wife says, she is on vacation too, so she doesn't like cooking. Hey wait, she must be on permanent vacation.....

Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I had a Wolverine 450 as well. It was better than the original scrambler except for power. The new Scrambler looks good. I only wish they made a model with the 570 engine that was a little less expensive. I might have bought one.
I think Polaris should throw the 570 in there also. I've also thought the Rotax 650 would be about perfect for the Renegade.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Hey moose, not sure where you ride, but when I go trail riding out East, it usually includes a stop at a local watering hole for food and beverages... Non alcoholic of course. Like my wife says, she is on vacation too, so she doesn't like cooking. Hey wait, she must be on permanent vacation.....
A lot of times we stop for lunch at one of the local eateries to support the local economy. Just about everywhere we ride in NH and ME there are trails that will bring you to food and gas, and sometimes lodging.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

I agree the wolverine was the first to bridge the gap. A little under powered by today's standards, but totally capable back when it was being sold.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Yamaha had simply put the Grizzly 550 engine in the Wolverine making it a Wolverine 550, that would have solved the problem. Could have even tried to put the 700 engine in it but its such a small chassis that it might have been tough to cram it in there. Imagine a Wolverine 700 that was 100 lbs lighter than the Grizzly 700, that would have been a blast to ride.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Ahhh, I don't think so. The new Can-ams are technologically way more advanced than the old Yamahas ever were. Granted if Yamaha had continued to develop it, then maybe. But as it was, Yamaha went through a stage where they sat on their laurels way too long and product development took a back seat to profits. I think that more than anything was the Wolverine's demise. Putting larger motors on old designs are a sure way to end up going broke.