CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Looking for info on DS50?

Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on DS50?

We just got this 2004 DS50, at least I think it's a 50. It has JA50 stamped on the side cover. I was attempting to get it running and did for about 20 secs then it went dead. Lost it's spark and don't really know where to start trouble shooting the issue. Any help will much appreciated. I've tried looking for a download of a shop repair manual but haven't had much luck.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Plenty of owners manuals and parts manuals,but few service manuals. Did find a 2002 manual from Tradebit that may possibly help. If like most youth machines the engines and electronics didn't vary that much between year models.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....-manual-repair

Old 01-29-2017, 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

When i had a chinese atv i had the same thing happen to me...on mine the cdi needed to be replaced.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, found that one. Only $8, pretty basic trouble shooting though. But then there's not all that much to test.
I'm afraid that Xdzombiezz might be right about the cdi unit failing. Now I just need to locate one.

Thanx

Old 01-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Manual should have some sort of stator test along with disabling the kill circuit from the cdi that eliminates the ignition switch and emergency kill system as problem areas.If the stator checks out,disabling the kill wire doesn't help then very possible it could be a cdi. I just never did like guessing on parts to replace without checking as much as I could. Guess being a mechanic brain washed me over the years. Keep us updated as to what you find.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well good news on the 50. Installed a new battery today, I was using a battery jumper before due to a NG battery that was in the quad when purchased. We checked out all the connections and changed the screw mount on the ignition coil due to the plastic boss having cracked and not holding the ground wire securely (I had already changed the self tapping screw to a machine screw and nut to no avail). I also cleaned the carb, fuel filters were checked and made sure the oiling system wasn't all gummed up from sitting. I then cranked it over a bit and low and behold I had spark Back! We put the whole thing back together, did some adjustments on the idle and carb settings and the little bugger is purring like a kitten. It's going to be a great kids bike due to it's adjustable throttle and rev limit. It will still do fun donuts even with a grown up on It!

Thanks all for the help and info!

Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

A good battery make all the difference as jumper cables on an old battery can give you fits on electronics working right.Glad you were able to find all the problems and not throw parts at it like a lot of people have done. Hope the kids enjoy it..