CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ds650 questions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
I'm selling my damn craptor ( and I don't even want to get into it about this piece of sh*t) and I'm looking for a more powerful quad like the ds650. I have a couple of questions:

1. How good is the handling?

2. Do they powerslide pretty good?

3. Has anyone rode them in the trails and how good or well did they manage? This is where I will mostly be riding with occasionally some dunes.

4. If there is anything wrong with the handling what mods can fix the problem and what is the best aftermarket tires? I heard that the ds stock tires don't get good traction and what size front and rear tires do you recommend?

Thanks for you info!
Dan

Old 04-18-2001, 05:15 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Dan

Just an observation, the Raptors are not THAT slow (certainly they wheelie a little easier than a DS650 - mostly unitentional). You obviously must be having some major problems with it.

With regards to the DS, it really needs a good pipe to improve the bottom end (already got heaps up the top), it goes from good to Whoa Baby!

Powerslide HMMMM, oh Yeah! Predictable, better than my old Banshee with Holeshots on it.

With regards to the handling, the suspension for doing jumps is simply brilliant, the landings are soaked up beautifully. The only sort of problem is around 80kph, the front end gets a little darty. I have noticed this but choose to spend my money on go-faster bits instead. Timmy Boy Designs make replacement fully adjustable upper A-Arms that will sort this out, I think US$375 or US$395. Steering Stabilisers are said to work well too - Graydon PEP. I just hang on a bit tighter.

I mostly ride open trails and track work, although I will be going to our local dunes (Lancelin) when it is a bit cooler, I'm in West Australia. You really need to use some body language to get turns happening quick though.

I have had mine for about three months (35 hours riding time) have had zero problems, I would thouroughly recommend the DS650, over here there would be a thriving second-hand market - if anyone of the 27 DS owners in the state wanted to sell.

Old 04-18-2001, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Dan I see you are the Las Vegas area you need to get in touch with Knutz and his 760cc DS. You guys probably ride the same areas so he can tell you how it does on the trails and desert. Just look out he dose sell the 760cc kit.

Old 04-18-2001, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Hello Dan,

If you mean desert trails when you say "trails", I can't imagine a better quad choice than the DS. I split my time between the trails and the sand pretty evenly and have to say, the 12" of suspention has saved me from an ugly chrash more than once. Blasting through unfamiliar terrain is much easier due to the fact that I don't have to worry near as much if I hit a rock or wash that I didn't see because I know the quad can take it for me. I've also nosed it into the face of a double on the MX track a time or 2 and again had the suspention save me.

For me, power slides are just the right level of easy on the DS. It doesn't want to slide on every turn, but is very easy to get to slide when I want to.

I think you'll find the power right on par with the Raptor, but it will be much less wheelie prone in stock form. Even once the power is increased, wheelies are easily controlable.

I honestly think that if you make the switch from the Raptor to the DS you will be happy. Just keep in mind that you will not have the same light and nimble feel that the Raptor has but you will have a heavyer, more solid feel that may take a little getting used to, but that almost comes naturaly if your a large rider like myself. It will take a short time of adjustment for smaller riders, but easily adapted to.

Old 04-18-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

By the way, 23" front and 22" rear Holeshot XTC's work great for me. Added ground clearance and great hook up.

Old 04-18-2001, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everybody for your info i will be hopefully
selling the raptor in about a month and will definately be getting the ds650.I forgot to ask a few other questions like:

1. How reliable is the engine ?

2. What is the best pipe that gains the most horse power?

The last questions is for knutz how much did you pay for the 760cc kit and how much of a horse power gain and how fast does your quad go when you put that on?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-18-2001, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

And any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-18-2001, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

The engine is very reliable the DS650 has won some very long distance race and 24hr endurance race the same engine has won the Dakar rally in the BMW F650. Team PAMI built those engines for BMW the same Parts that Knutz now sell here in the US.

Old 04-18-2001, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

The motors are proving themselves to be the next best thing to bullet proof. Even heavily modified, I've heard of very few failures. I have yet to have any problems reported from any customers, and I know that that is a goal of Team Pami, NO FAILURES!

The question of pipes has been debated back and forth many times with it coming down to personal preferance in the end. I've heard good things about the Ron Woods Racing pipe, but don't like it's extreme length myself. I've yet to here bad reports about Alba pipes either, and they are suposed to make good power as well. The one pipe that I've heard nothing but glowing reports from owners on is the Custom X. Good fit and great power as well as a reasonable sound output.

As far as the Team Pami 760 motor goes, there are many variables that go into the exact price, such as optional upgrades or credit for parts that may already be on a quad[such as ignition box or carb]. Estimated price right now starts at $4890 for the comlete kits, assembled. There are lower levels to our motors as well, if that seams a little steep, but when compaired to the $4100+ price for a Ron Woods stage 3 motor, I truely believe you get much more for your money.

If your intrested in checking out everything Team Pami has to offer, visit there web site at www,team-pami.de and if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. Since your here in Vegas with me, we can go out riding together some day when you get your DS. I don't like to let non DS owners out on my demo unit since they don't have the parts to repair mine if they crash it, it's been flipped twice now on demo rides.

I'm glad to see your stepping up to a better quad anyway, whether you get your performance parts from me or not.

Old 04-19-2001, 04:53 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for every one that answered my post and I can't wait until I sell my craptor and get the ds.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S.
If anyone has any other info it would be very appreciated.

Quick Reply: Ds650 questions??