CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Went to the dunes, raced raptors

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to sand mtn last sunday. I raced two raptors one with an fmf (straight paddles) one with a big gun (curved paddles). I beat the big gun raptor by about 5 lenghts and the fmf by about3 lenghts. I was really surprised how bad they were all doing. My freind has a really modified 400 ex that barely beats me by 1-2 lenghtes. What cheap mods should I do to be able to beat him. I am thinking piston and cam and rev box. If anyone has an of these things for sale let me know. If anyone is wondering what size of paddles to get my 20-10-10 10 paddle haulers worked perfect. Thanks

Old 05-09-2001, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer

Is your DS stock?

Old 05-09-2001, 04:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have yet to hear anyone refer to 'piston, cam and rev box' as cheap mods to gain power. Generally people talk about 'pipe, filter and whatever.' Why not try the good ol' standby - get a K&N Filter with prefilter, a good pipe (take your pick) and see if you don't just whoop a 400EX after that. Most of the good pipes for the DS are adding around 10HP in the lower part of the power curve making for some serious off idle punch to help you get the holeshot and early lead.

Old 05-09-2001, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

That must have been one hell of a moded 400ex!My 400EX is moded (pipe & filter) and is a great machine,but it wont even come close to my DS in a drag race! Now in some tight woods,it would probaly be a different story.

Old 05-09-2001, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer

i don't understand. In all the magazine articles i have read they always say the Raptor and DS650 are about equal when it comes to power and speed. But as i read these different postings all I read about is how the DS650 beats the raptors. Are the magazines just blowing air up Yamaha Corps. butt or what is the deal.i am in the market for either of the two machines and am leaning thwards the DS650. The main reason is because my local Yamaha dealer sells both quads and the Raptor is $500 more then the DS650. No that isnt a type error.

Old 05-09-2001, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

I'm with you Blackhawk. I've never heard of piston, cam and revbox as cheap mods either. I must not make enough money.

Old 05-09-2001, 11:45 AM
Range Rover

Mugsy, if I were you I would jump on that deal of the DS being cheaper than the Raptor. I love my DS and although I have never had a serious accident on it my friend has on my DS. I would say it was shear terror to see my DS launch off a hill just like the space shuttle! My friend was riding my DS when he lost control and went off the path and into a ditch where the walls were almost vertical. When he hit the bottom his thumb slipped and he had the throttle pinned wide open in 2nd gear. The DS just shot stright up the wall and launched about 8' in the air. The DS came down on the right rear tire/fender and after all the dust settled it was up side down and only my headlight was broke. My friend didn't get hurt nor did my DS (serious damage)to my amazement. I was then sold on the DS being very tough to withstand some major crashes. As far as the comment about racing Raptors, I have beaten 2 raptors on my DS. I knew one guy that had one of the Raptors and we even switched quads and raced. I was not happy sucking dust from my own quad so that says that it was not the rider in the DS winning the drag. Mugsy, buy the DS you won't regret it!

Old 05-09-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Beat by a 400ex? must of had some serious mods I a have raced alot of 400ex's at sand mountain and none have ever even been close,even raced one and he had a head start and I had a 160lb passenger and I still blew him away(I do have A Woods stage 2 kit though)when stock I ran neck and neck with the raptors and still never saw 400ex's.What mods do you have now?

2000 ds
Woods stage 2
Team-pami 760 with race head ordered

Old 05-13-2001, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry guys I forgot to say I have a big gun pipe and a k@n filter. I also have paddles and a jet kit. Hey jeff would you sell me your stage 2 when your team pami kit gets here. thanks

Old 05-21-2001, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hey bomerds I think I'm the "Big Gun Raptor with curved paddles" that your talking about. I think you had me by more like 6 or 7 lengths but I think something was wrong with my Raptor since the tranny seized about 10 minutes after we raced I look forward to racing you again once I get the Raptor back from the shop and dialed in. I also think some straight paddles would help too. See you at the dunes!

Quick Reply: Went to the dunes, raced raptors