CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

will an LT500 Zilla beat a DS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff,
how's the Team Pami mods compare to the Woods
Stage 2? I know it won't be a fair comparison, seeing that you've had head work done but give us your seat of the pants analysis.

Old 05-24-2001, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

I am headed to Dumont this weekend and will most likely run into several Stage 2's. I have just the standard 760 in my DS at the moment. The last time I was out there and compairing myself to them, I was severly undercarborated. I still beat stage 2's by 4-5 quad lengths with just a 40MM carb on the 760. That was way to small and I now have the 45MM on and running well. With the race head that Jeff is going to have, I expect in the area of 15 more HP than I have. Your right in the statement, it's not a fair compairison.

Old 05-24-2001, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Knutz, you've said in the past that you saw 60+hp on the dyno with your set up - are you saying 75 hp is what Jeff has? That sounds FUN!

Old 05-25-2001, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Right around 75HP, at the rear wheel that is. Not to mention a torque curve that will make a Banshee owner cry. At least that is what I'm expecting. The only thing I could imagine that could hold us back from that figure is if the carb can't support it. And we are already prepaired for that possibility. I wish I could figure out how to post the dyno results from my 760. Hopefully Jeff will know how to do it when I get him his motor.

I haven't quite finished his motor yet, but I should be done by this time next week.

Old 05-25-2001, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I jumped the gun a little on my sinature,About a week premature on the 760 kit,up till a couple of days ago I didnt know how do a signature just got a little excited I guess...sorry,by what Knutz has told me I should get my Team-Pami motor in a about week,I will let every one know how it compares to the stage 2.I will start looking for place to dyno it probably in carson city or reno nv,just because it's at the same elevation and area I nomally ride.I also ordered a port matched dual carb intake just in case the 45mm carb isn't big enough,Thinking of trying the Woods dual Keihin 41mm carbs,there progressive as in one opens then the other wich would probably eliminate the stumble you get right off throttle with the single 45mm,I know there are some frame modifications involved to install the dual carbs,but at this stage I think it would be worth it
Jeff

Old 05-25-2001, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

The stumble is caused by the lack of a accellerator pump, which Bombardier was shortsited in removing from the carb. Scooby placed one on the stock carb last year, in his early quests for power, speeda nd performance and was quite happy.

The Quicksilver carbs come with an accellerator pump, among other features.

You should probably be able to get away with a single larger carb, instead of going dualies. This will save time and effort trying to fit them in the frame, removing/modifying the airbox and synchronizing the carbs.

Good luck,
CRTLeech

Old 05-25-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Any quad with that much chain stretching HP would be a "handfull to handle".The DS stock produces 42 HP if I'm not mistaken and the LT makes around 55.Like I said the DS is a nice quad, but lets be real here, we're talkin about a 500cc 2stroke that topped out at 80 in its stock significantly "dummy tuned" state.

Old 05-25-2001, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

The 760 does not respond well to accelorator pumps. I experimented with this in the beginning, and found that it simply would not run properly with the pump. What little stumble it has right now is very tiny and only for the first 100 RPM or so off of idle. I may have found the solution for it already, but need to test some more to find out. The combustion chamber design is so much more efficient than any other design, the pump simply provides too much fuel.

Old 05-28-2001, 04:47 AM
Pro Rider

I've got a 'Zilla that eats everything up around here. 400EXs, 350Xs, Banshees. Trouble is, the DS isn't selling around here, so I don't get the chance. The Raptor doesn't sell around here, so I have had no encounters with it either. No real good place to open them up around here I am told. I don't really get that, I open mine up all the time. Damn things all cost too much for this area, too. Everyone wants a 4x4 for this mud.
I haven't really had any vibration problems nor can I complain of poor handling. I guess I just don't notice those things when I ride. I generally do a lot of steering with the a## end anyway.

Old 05-28-2001, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

stock vs. stock 500 will smoke a ds all these comparisons off moddified machines makes no sence when you start doing mods. the one with the most $$$ wins

Quick Reply: will an LT500 Zilla beat a DS?