CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

will an LT500 Zilla beat a DS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very true. Like the guys who have spent 10k in aftermarket parts on a hillshooting Banshee, that'll eat anything around. I've always wondered how fun it really is to have an ATV which only goes fast in a straight line. I think I'll leave it to those guys to win the hill drags, I'll have fun with the rest of us doing things like turning, jumping and riding these small windy roads called trails.

I think when people talk about an LT500 or LT250 being difficult here or tough there I guess they are comparing them to full on race bikes, as I never noticed any of the major complaints when I had my LT250.

Old 05-30-2001, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff,
By chance do you have any idea what the Ron W's stage 2 kit looks like on the dyno (hp and torque curve)? I would be very interested in seeing it. I am also interested in seeing what the Team P 760 kit looks like from the dyno.

Well the reason I ask is I will have my Raptor top-end back early next week and will be hitting about 65 rw hp with the mods using the stock head pipe and carbs. I'd like to see how the dyno graphs compare between the two quads with different modifications. With my top-end I will be getting the graphs from my particular set-up and will post them mid next week.

By no means am I trying to start sh**!! I am just interested as to how these two compare with various levels of modifications.

Hope we can compare notes and info as well as learning about each of the two machines capabilities! Look forward to hearing from you..

Take care,
Swytak

Old 05-31-2001, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Just wondering ..... everybody keeps talking about all these mods here and there... How come you guys never list the prices? I'm vary caught between trading my sportbike in next year and getting a used bomb, raptor or 250r. My last ride was a moded 250r and I loved her. But she was going to take way to much money to set her up for dunes. Well around here my friends mainly ride woods in Indianna, but I use to live in Utah and love the dunes. So which makes the most since to buy if I need best of both worlds. I'm trying to spot on a quad for around $7,000.00-$8,000.00 I don't want to pay much more. So I'm looking at buying a used Raptor, x-pro 250R, or a bomb. But I also want them to have the 11" of travel which means on the 250r and raptor going aftermarket shocks and +2 or +3 a arms. So do you think I can do this with out popping my budget? I'm also trying to target around 50-60hp without popping the budget. I know you can do this pretty easy for instance by buying a x-pro 250r for around $6,000.00-$7,000.00 Plus there easy to work on. If were talking about $10,000.00 to make a raptor or bomb do the same. No way forget it!! What do you guys think?

Old 05-31-2001, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Swytak,

I would be very interested in seeing dyno charts of a Raptor with 65RWHP from head work. I say this because I've heard too many stories of "exagerated claimes" in order to sell one mod or another. I'd also like to see what sort of torque is made if this HP level is reached. When you get it together, I'll fax you a copy of my dyno chart if you fax me a copy of yours. Did you say that you will be getting the dyno charts with your top end? Who knows were those charts came from. I'de like to see the charts from your actual quad. I could send out Jeffs dyno charts and claim them as "760 kit charts" without lying, but I would be leaving out the fact that he will have a race preped head on his. Who ever sold you this top end may be leaving out some small detail like that as well. For your own sake, I suggest you put your quad on a dyno after you get it together, to see what your actual results are.

I would love to hear exactly, everything that is being done to your 660. I'd also be interested in knowing who is doing it and for how much. I guess you could say I'd like to see what I'm up against as far as Raptors go. I haven't come across any Raptors that have wanted to race me a second time, yet. Maybe I need to start watching for them.

I'm not trying to start anything either, but I know of a shop that is claiming to make 102HP from a DS motor. But when he is asked were the charts are that show this, he can never produce them. He also makes a point of seeing that this 102HP quad is never around when mine is. Some places are just really good at blowing smoke, and I refuse to do that. I'm prepaired to back up anything that I claim.

Old 05-31-2001, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I can't say what it would cost for the requested mods on a 250r or DS, but I can give you a very realistic idea for the Rap. You can get a good used Rap for $5600.00 add the shocks (front and rear)$1250.00 + (complete set a-arms w/ everything)$650.00 + (hc piston and cam) $425.00 + (complete exhaust) $450.00 totaling 8375.00, you would have to the work yourself and could get several of these items at a cheaper cost. The numbers I used are from some of the bigger named part mfg. (ex. $650.00 for a-arms, "lonestar" is the price I gave).

Hope I helped with that part of your question? As far as what quad is best for you and for the terrain you plan to ride, I'm not going there. That is a personal decision YOU NEED TO MAKE! All of the quads you asked about DS, 250r and Rap are all great quads, each one better in different areas.

Good luck with your quest.

Old 05-31-2001, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Knutz,

Thanks for the reply. Sure I would be interested in swapping info and I apprecaite the offer.

What work has been done? 680 bore, 11-1 JE piston, mid-top cam, 3-angle valve job, larger intake valves and head porting. (stock headpipe and carbs<hitting 65 rwhp) What's going to restrict these mods from the full potential are the stocker carbs and stock head pipe, I'm aware of that issue! There are several builders working on intake/carb changes for the Raptor. The best I've heard yet is using a single 42mm Mikuni flat, but I need to see more testing from others before making that investment. As for the larger dia headpipes, too many choices, we'll see.

I will have my paper work(dyno graphs) mid next week and look forward to sharing information. Talk to ya soon!

Swytak

Sorry, I didn't get the rest of your post earlier when I first replied. To finish, I do have an appt scheduled for dyno testing and would be willing to share "claimed" and "actual" graphs. I can respect what your saying there and am willing to share both, just will be about a month before I personally have it tested. None the less, I'm willing..

Old 05-31-2001, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

$5000- used DS-650 in excellent shape

$2382.50- Team Pami #2 kit/703CC's, 66 HP[at the crank]

$450- Big Gun Pipe
________
$7832.50- Total

12" of suspention travel standard

Old 06-03-2001, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a built quadzilla,my wife has a ds650 with a K&N filter. As sorry as I am,her quad is a better machine. My Lt is quick unpredictable and hard to control.Hers is smooth and a simple predictable monster. When finances allow I will upgrade to a DS.I am in my early fortys and have ridden for over 30 years. I have friends with raptors,they are nice machines,but I am over 6ft 225 and dont fit.This is my personal experience,I like my LT,but a lot has changed since 1989 :2000 ds 1989 lt500 2000xr650 1999cr125

Old 06-05-2001, 12:24 AM
Range Rover

Let me get this straight Swytak; some performance shop told you that you could gain 30 rear wheel horsepower by simply bumping up the compression and increasing the efficiency of airflow through the head? Please tell me the name of the magician/witch-doctor that is able to perform this miraculous feat! I bet this same genious could get my LT500R though the 1/4 mile in under 8 seconds with only a swap of reeds and by properly indexing my spark plug! Please get back to me soon since I feel that this shop could be the answer to my dreams!

Old 06-05-2001, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

btodd

I want some of those reeds too for my zilla!