CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TimmyBoy A-arm Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had problems with the TimmyBoy lower A-arms? Mine came with the bushings jammed in with no grease. They won't turn at all. They are too tight. Grease doesn't even help. The zerks were missing. I removed the zerks from the stock arms but they will not screw into the TimmyBoy A-arms. The threaded holes are either not threaded or the chrome plating filled them in. The a-arms took forever to get. The a-arms and TCS shocks have been siting in the garage for over a month because I haven't had the time to install them. Finally I have the time over the 3-day weekend. I get the whole frontend apart only to find that I cannot finish the installation. What a waste of time. Now I have to return the a-arms to have them fixed and re-assemble the DS with the stock a-arms. Nothing goes smoothly with the DS.

Old 05-26-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Scooby, If your fed up with the Timmy-Boy arms, and want to return them, I now carry A-arms for the DS. Chrome Moly construction, 1"wider and 1" forward, and a full liftime warranty. If you manage to ever break these arms, regardless of how, send them back for a free replacement set. These A-arms are made by American Star Racing and are the highest quality arms I've seen. The first run of these DS arms is being completed as I type this, and will be ready for shipment in a matter of days. I sell these arms, complete, for $649.95. If your intrested, feel free to call, or e-mail me.

By the way, the stock arms use metric zerks on the pivots and standard zerks on the ball joint. I'm guessing that the Timmy Boy arms use standard zerks on the pivot, so the ones off the stock arms will not work.

Old 05-26-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

My bushings were tight but work ok now. The stock zerks worked on mine but the arms are power coated not chromed. I think you are correct with chrome plating filling in the threads you may have to retap them. I think Timmy A-arms work best if you leave them bear. You add any paint or chrome and it will fill in all threads and clearance on the bushings

Old 05-26-2001, 08:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The upper a-arms have problems too. The ball joints won't thread easily. The Heims won't thread easily. This ruins the ease of adjustability. I don't have a thread tapping set. I'll let TimmyBoy fix it.

My TCS front shocks have to go back to TCS to have longer lines put on for the reservoirs. I have to mount the reservoirs in a different location than they were setup for becasue of clearance problems with the intercooler pipes.

Old 05-27-2001, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Knutz
Do the new a-arms have ball joints or screw in tie- rods ends?Also is the chrome molly heat treated?
Thanks
Bearman

Old 05-27-2001, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

They use a patent pending ASR screw in ball joint.

Not only are they heat treated, but once they are heated, they are re-alligned in a CNC bender to ensure that the heating proccess did not warp the curve. With a lifetime warranty, it's a safe bet that every step was taken to ensure there was no breaking problem.

American Star Racing also claims that these are the only complete set of arms that does not cause interference with the spindle at full stearing lock.

Old 05-29-2001, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like these a-arms were done right.Are you working with quad central or strictly on youre own
Bearman

Old 05-29-2001, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

After finding out about the quality of these arms, and the development of a set for the DS, I had lunch with the CFO of American Star Racing and discussed them. His goal was to eliminate every problem that had ever been talked about from any other manufacturer, and sell the strongest, highest quality suspension part ever made. It was only after I was confident of the quality that we discussed price and I was rather pleased with how reasonable they were. That is when I decided that I wanted to carry these parts. My goal is to carry the best of the products available for the DS and build my company to be the place to come for DS-650 performance parts. I figure, since there are not many parts available, I'd like to gather them all to one sorce and market directly to the DS enthusiasts.

Although initially I had planned to work with Quad Central II, issues came up that led me to take on this business on my own. Although this means I don't have a big, pretty shop, it allows my overhead to be less and my prices to be as low as possible.

Old 06-01-2001, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

American Star Racing - Is'nt the owner Kip, the one that ripped off many fellow atvers in his last company "Last Rebel Racing" by taking cash & credit but never sending any product even though he knew he was goin out of business for months ?? Check the treads, I think b370 has mentioned that Kip is the owner of this new company.

Old 06-01-2001, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is the tread about American Star Racing / Last Rebel Racing.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...0star%20racing

Quick Reply: TimmyBoy A-arm Problems