CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Glowing red exhaust pipe???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knowthis post was up before but i cannot find it.2000 Ds w/Ron Woods st.1 kit.At night my exhaust right at the head gets very hot and red when throttling.Is this normal??I'm in Fl. so altitude is not an issue.I bought it used from a guy in the central U.s. Dunno if he changed the carb setup.Ron Woods says it comes preset for my altitude.Is it runnin to lean?Sure seems to run great.What should i look for in the carb such as recommended jet and needle size???

Old 07-13-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe I can help here Crashfirepm53
I'm not so sure its not normal for the exhaust to get that hot, guess it depends how hard you are riding at the time and how thin the head pipe is. Normally you can't see the pipe getting red hot in the day light when you are riding hard and most people (with bills to pay and mouths to feed) dont hold the throttle wide open for extended periods of time after dark so maybe its just something nobody has noticed before.
If you're not sure about jet setting there is a couple quick and easy ways to check it. First, on your next ride after about 20 or 30 minutes of normal riding stop the motor, let it cool for 10 minutes (so you don't burn the #@%*&$ out of yourself) and pull one of the spark plugs. If the insulator is white as the driven snow then its too lean. It should have a slight tan color to it. The second way to check lean burn is to listen to your engine, does it back-fire on deceleration. Anywhere from a loud popping to loud bangs can indicate a lean burn condition. Slight to mild pops are normal.
Other causes of glowing headhipes could be: Valve clearance too tight or incorrect ignition timing. Check the ignition timing as per the manuals directions first, if its right then put the stock ignition box back on and run it at night as you did before and see if the pipe gets red again. The new module may be running the incorrect timing. Lastly check the valve clearance, it is possable its never been done before if you havn't done it. Good luck and ride hard, preferably in the daylight.

Jeff

Old 07-13-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff I feel your pain on letting the engine cool before you remove the spark plug. I have the scar to prove it. OUCH [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] One other way to check if you have a SupperTrapp S/A on is the color of the disk, black rich, Gray lean.

Old 07-14-2001, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, im gonna have to say if there is no performance issues, dosent feel like its just not running right then it is alright. I would check the card setup just to be safe though.

BUt if you think about it, headpipes get VERY hot and in the day the light from the sun blocks out the light emitted from this heat, so we dont see it, but at night the light from this heat can travel and be seen. I remember a year ago, we got this terrible snow storm, i think a foot within 2 hours and it wasnt gonna stop til late the next day, so i thought i'd bundle up and go fire up the snowblower to do the driveway, that way i wouldnt have as much to clean in the morning before i had to leave, it was 10 oclock or sumthin and pretty dark, i noticed within 10 minutes of the snowblower running the head pipe was GLOWING red, it looked like i coulda took a stick and poked right through melted metal, but it was fine, thats just how hot they get.

happy riding.