CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS at Pismo, no paddles, XCT's did just fine, Babes??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We climbed everything and generally tore it up pretty good for three full days. The XCT's worked great. The only noticable handicap was at the drags, where the paddles really do give a substantial edge. Skyler beat me on his raptor with stock tires, but his 85 lb body weight on his Raptor is equal to my DS with nobody on it! The rev limiter was a pain too. Paddles and a new ignition would be essential gear for this sand drag stuff.
We had a really good time, but damn, what a drive, 925 miles one way. We'll check out the Safford dunes this fall. That's only 3 hours away.
It was a really great trip, our very first trip to any dunes. The only real dissapoinment was the complete lack of Beach Bunnies.
Despite a weekend crowd of a couple of thousand people, the Hardbody, Pammy wanna-be babes I'm used to seeing on the southern California Beaches were just not in attendance. I found myself admiring Toy Haulers instead of racks and thongs. I guess I admire a lot of different kinds of "rides". Why couldn't they just shoot "Baywatch" at Pismo?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2001, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, but you will be disappointed with the safford dunes. We went there once and had a fair time but not like Glamis. The dunes are not big at all, and the area is not very big either. This may appeal to others (and I'm sure there will be opposition) but it just wasn't my scene. Save your money and wait until it is cool so that you can go to Glamis. I can't wait!

Bring some paddles when you come too for your bomb and your boy's raptor.

Old 07-30-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

The Paiute trail really does look great, we'll make it there yet.
I took the Grizz out on an exploration ride, way too rough for the DS, and I knew reverse and 4x4 would be needed. I am tracking the trails where we ride, and have been for the last 6-8 months. The Wilderness Alliance wants to have our riding area declared "roadless" so I was getting some key trails onto my map before I show it to the Forest Supervisor here. I know he's going to say we've been riding in a "roadless" area, and that of course is on old mining "roads". These cheesey enviro-creeps are just looking for issues and battles to keep them in the news and keep their contributions and grant money coming in.
But I really do enjoy these mountain trails, more than Pismo. The thing about the Dunes is the utter chaos. On our trail system, there is an objective, a route, a destination, and all the tracks are going the same way. In the Dunes, there is no direction or pattern. On a busy day like Saturday, the criss-cross of tracks and ruts makes for a bumpy ride in every and any direction. Climb a hill, sit and watch, climb it again, shoot around a bowl, sit and watch, where next? there's a hill, there's a bowl, watch out for that FLAG!! whew, close one. Head on collision is always a concern on a blind corner on a mountain trail, as it is at the top of a dune. But I know it is safer to ride on our trails as compared with the chaotic nature of dune riding. Don't get me wrong, it was fun,
but I like trails better than dunes. SO the Paiute trail is definetly on the "To Do" list. And it has to be on the "To Do" list before it makes the "Been there, Done that" list. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]