CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Crashed ds..need alittle help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey today at some local trails, i crashed the ds pretty hard, (about 50mph)..it landed square on the right front tire and bent my tie rod very bad and totally ripped it out. I think the steering stem might be bent up also...Damn huh. Well luckly i bought upper aarms from timmy boy, but i was going to wait till winter to put them on..now i'm wondering what caster/camber settings are suppose to be on the timmy boy uppper aarms. Also does anyone know of any steering stems for a ds?

how much?

ryan
00 ds..for now

Old 07-27-2001, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Since none of us have an alignment rack anyway, here's my seat of the pants way of setting up the TimmyBoys. First, the A-arms are identical, and you want a lot of caster. This means you want to tilt the hubs back almost as far as possible. Aligning the center of the ball joint with the center of the shock rod itself, from the side, is a good indicator. This will give you lots of caster, great for sand and straight line stability. This adjustment is made at the Heim joint where the A-arms attach to the frame. Mine are 6 threads showing in front to 1 thread showing at the rear.
Camber can be set by lining up the front wheels so they are canted in just a smidge as compared to the back wheels, which are fixed and can't move. This is done at the ball joint. It is supposed to be a degree or two. I never got instructions or decals with my TimmyBoys.(It is best to do these adjustments with a rider's weight aboard, but there is no bump steer going on so it is not too critical).
I like 1/8" toe-out best, measured center of tire to center of tire, or outside to outside, at the front of the front tires as compared to the rear of the front tires, that's adjusted with the tie rods.
Geez, sorry to hear about the wreck, hope your frame's not bent. If it is, maybe the adjustments in the Timmyboys can compensate. LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2001, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks fourlix. Man i wish you didnt say that "i hope your frames not bent"..now i'm going to worry all day at work and hope its not! When i Get home i'll check it over...it better not be bent from a crash like that.. Thanks again

ryan
00 ds

Steeringstems?

Old 07-28-2001, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hey 300exster
I have steering stems from Diamond Racing that are made from chromoly and you can use pro taper handlebars without adapters and are rubber mounted for much less vibration.Optional dual head light mounts for lazer star type lights are available also.This is definately the hot set up and much stronger than stock.If you are interested drop Knutz or myself an e-mail and we will hook you up.
Bearman