CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 650 dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DSjockey,I had a hard time getting any info from anybody on the dual carbs except that I was told poeple are doing it,everybody I called said it wasn't that hard,so I just figured what the hell I will give it a try.I removed only parts of the crossmember that I needed to clear the carbs and cables etc.I have some close tolerances but I would rather cut a little at a time and make ajustments as needed(to keep as much strength in the frame)After cutting I would mount the carbs and then move them in every direction without popping them from the boots to check clearance.
I think Ron Woods has seen a different set up then mine,because the throttle cable I bought from him has a 90 degree bend at the carb end,where I could have used a straight cable with less drag,not sure why his cables have this design unless there is somthing I dont know about.Maybe some poeple are cutting out there crossmember different.I have nothing to compare mine too

Old 08-07-2001, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor660RNH, lets just say that the 400EX IS disconinued by the time he got around to making one (and who knows maybe it won't be, i mean they have a 250 and a 300 so why not a 400 and a 450? or 650 is thats the case.) just think of all the people with 400EX's that would like to have a new exhaust system. i mean look at all the systems out for 250R's and they haven't been made for like 12 years.

Old 08-07-2001, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Now I see the problem, I thought Ron was talking about the "u" brace at the shock head but its the cross brace behind the gas tank, man I think I need new glasses

Old 01-13-2002, 02:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jeff,

Have you come up with a dual exhaust setup yet?

Those supermono pics show large diameter headpipes.

Did you notice the breather hose coming from the stator cover plug hole - I wonder if this is for blow-by problems?

Old 01-13-2002, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry Scooby but a while back when those punks stole my quads they set my shop on fire. Everything I had burnt up and I have received all of my equipment yet. Right now i'm in the process of sueing the punks that did everything. I wish I had the tools now to make the dual exhaust cause I sure could use the money.I just need to know what I need to do to quiet the exhaust cause I don't really need to worry about how loud my quad is.

Old 01-13-2002, 04:22 AM
Trailblazer

When I do get my equipment and if I decide to follow through with the dual exhaust my price is gonna be a little steep. I don't wanna sound like a major s.o.b but I am one person and will be busting my ***** to keep up with demands. I think $450-500 is a good price for a complete exhaust setup. I have no idea on a warranty or even how to make the silencers. I was thinking of just buying 2 fmf silencers to try that out , just to get a rough idea. If I can't figure some way to make the silencers I could just sell the header pieces but I'd rather figure the silencers out to save you folks the hassle of spending money then more just for the silencers. I need to find a way to make silencers by hand. If someone could help me I'd appreciate it.

Old 01-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Range Rover

I know nothing about exhaust system building but am still interested in a dual system if it will increase performance and meet or beat the Oregon 93 dB sound limit. So far no one has a system that quiet that I have found.

Old 01-14-2002, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Scooby,
I haven't thought too much about the dual exaust much lately,not that wouldn't want to do it.Just seems like I have enough irons in the fire right now.With my motor stripped down,tranny rebuild,polishing & probably going to powder coat the frame,but what color?I dont know.If I new I could get red plastic soon I would go all red(partial to red)
Any way I do go an look at the supermono pics alot and I still have not figured out where & what all hoses do around the engine
To bad the dual exaust manufacture in the pics "Tigcraft" is in Japan
I have an after market exaust manufacture around the corner from me they make exaust systems,headers etc. for street rods & mail order,I think when I am ready I could talk them into it.
Jeff

Old 01-14-2002, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff and Scobby, I don't know if you guy's have done this yourself. When I changed my oil I put on a clear breather hose like on that bike. After filling it, I started it up and let it run until my temp gauge got to 100*, the I reved it hard for awhile. I never saw the oil in the breather line. BUT, once I shut it down, here came the oil running into the line. So next time I fired it up , it would push the oil that's sitting in the line up toward the end of the line then seep back in eventually. But once I shut it off, it again escaped from the engine and spilled into the hose. I'm no mechanic so maybe that might help someone (KNUTZ?) close in on why.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Range Rover

Jeff can you give me that guys # that makes the pipes, or better yet help a jumper out. I will put my battery in the airbox since I have the filter on the carb, that leaves room for dual exhuast. I'll get my own silencers, I just need a set of pipes to the rear on each side. I think someone could sell alot of them if they were forsale.

Quick Reply: DS 650 dual exhaust