CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2002 DS650 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently started seriously looking at Bombardier (DS650). Though I am a Honda fan, I find the 400EX feeling to small. The Yamaha Raptor feels a little better but wanted to wait for the 2002 model as well as if the rumour 650EX comes out soon. Now through these forums, I'm really impressed with what I am reading about the DS650 plus winning major endurance races says alot. I like the bigger size fit (I'm 6'3, 220#), power, and most important, dependability. But what's missing is Reverse. Bought our first quad for the wife (250EX) and have come to really like that feature. Being in my forties, still like to go fast with good torque, but I don't need an MX setup. Sorry for the ramplin and I will cut to the chase. Any info on 2002 DS650's and will they have reverse?
Thanks!

Old 08-11-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

For the really rough trail rides reverse is really nice, so is 4-wheel drive. For haulin' *** around though, I have not really missed reverse that much. Remember to try and park with your nose uphill and not downhill and it's pretty easy to let gravity be your reverse.
Going down nasty trails, where you don't know if you have room to turn around, just in case you can't go any farther, like a narrow, downhill, dead-end, is what you absolutely have to avoid. I use the Grizzly for such grissly work.

The rest of the time I am flyin'*** on my DS. My boy's Raptor has reverse, but low ground clearance keeps it out of the nasty spots, even though it does have reverse. Reverse is very nice for him, though, as he can't pick it up to turn it around.
I love all three of our quads. They are all different, yet perfect for what they do and who rides them... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2001, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

I have a tiny bit of extremely inside information that very few people have heard. I have recently been setting up a Swiss Bombadier distributor with the needed parts for him to establish a racing team for next season. In talking with the distibutor, I learned that most of his quads are sold for use on the street. Having lived in Europe for some time, I found this odd due to the Swiss requirement that all 4 wheeled vehicles have reverse. I learned that he has developed a reverse gear for this quad. He has built at least 50 of these revese equiped DS-650's and has orders for many more. The more intresting part is that Bombardier has purchased his plans for this reverse system in order to look at them. Could they be planning something? I wouldn't count on it for 2002, but I'll be looking for it in the future. In the mean time, I'm going to see if this is something I can do to a DS here in the states. How much would people be willing to pay for this system? If I can do it for a resonable price, and there is intrest in it, I may start importing this as well.

Old 08-12-2001, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer

I would be willing to pay $100 - $200 for reverse but no more. I dint see it being worth anymore than that. With what I do in the gym, lifting this quad isnt worth that much.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2001, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

With the screamin' deals Bombardier is making there must be something going on. I think reverse would be great, and so would a lower first gear in a six-speed gearbox. I would use a lower first gear more than I would use reverse, but with that kind of flexibility
the DS could go almost anywhere the Grizzly could. It's the low gear that gets you through the rough rocky stuff. Mud & snow are the true domain of 4x4. An ultimate desert/trail quad SHOULD have reverse and a wide ratio 6-speed gearbox. I'd like a speedo/odo/tach too. And a higher rev limiter, which I have yet to pick up from you Knutz.
How much would I pay for reverse? Hard to say. If it came with a 6-speed gearbox I might pay over $500, but not more than a grand. It would be cheaper to wait and get a production model.
All these sales are going to hurt the resale value of our DS's, like I do plan on keeping this one past it's second oil change, but..
I hope the new DS, assumming a new and improved model is coming, has the front suspension and A-arms fixed, like my TimmyBoy A-arms and Works shocks, and is 40 or 50 lbs lighter. That would be the biggest improvement they could make. The Rotax engine is a work of art, but its' frame is a little overdone.
I think Bomber is up to something, I'm sure it's good.

Old 08-12-2001, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

A 6 speed is darn near impossible on this engine, there is no room in the cases for it. If we were to engineer it, the gears would have to be narrower, hence less reliable. Wide ratio is possible, but there is very little call for a lower first gear on a sport/hi-performance ATV. We do have a close ratio 5 speed that puts 1st gear at about the same ratio as 2nd gear currently is.

I wouldn't wait for Bombardier to put reverse on, they are only "looking" right now, they may never do it. I'll try to get more details on it this week.