CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Street Drags?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001 | 01:00 AM
|
Pro Rider

I hear that there are drag strips running ATV drag races. I am looking at organizing something similar here in Las Vegas, but LVMS wants me to do all of the leg work to get it approved by NHRA. As of right now, NHRA says that we are not approved vehicles, so we can't run on their tracks.

Can anyone help me find what tracks are holding these drag races? I would like to contact these tracks to find out what problems they have had[or not had] and how they do it. If they are NHRA tracks or not, and any other info I can get from the track managers.

I've already talked with a rep from Trinity, and they told me about Carlsbad, but I would like to talk to as many others as possible.

Any info will be apreciated, phone #'s and contact names for tracks that do this would be increadable. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-22-2001 | 09:44 AM
Range Rover

I have no clue about atv's running, but i do know that snowmobiles are getting very popular in running on asphalt. Here is a company that is very big into making products for snowmobile asphalt draggers maybe they could help you. www.prolineperformance.com Here's another site that has contact for more info on it. http://www.thebuckeyesnowmobiler.com...nt_Racing.html
Hope this will help you some how.
matty

Old 08-26-2001 | 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Knutz,you said you were clocked a 86mph in a speed trap in a earlier post.....does that mean you used a radar gun?I raced a Hayabusa(at a undisclosed location)today we made about 5 pass's I actually kept up for the first 150' but then he would just blow past me.On the last run he clocked my top speed at 95mph.....Is that possible?......or was his speedo off? I am running a 15/40 sprocket set-up.Didn't know what I tached out at,was afraid to take my eye's off the road.I will try to find out what it will do in 1/4 mile soon hopefully.

Old 08-27-2001 | 12:09 AM
|
Pro Rider

It's very possible that his speedo was right. I built your motor for top end power and to turn higher RPM than mine, so 100 MPH with stock gearing is not out of the question. Mine has more low end grunt, and is designed to work in the stock RPM range. The lightened and polished connecting rod in your motor will help ensure it holds together at that sort of rpm. I'm guessing that if we drag race again[like I'm sure we will this weekend] I'll be closer to you on an up hill race than I will on a flat one. I'm intrested in getting your on a dyno to see the HP and torque #'s. My torque #'s might be higher than yours, but I'm sure your HP #'s are higher than mine. At the drag strip, I was typicly taking the motorcycles out of the hole, but then they would come back on me at a much higher speed.

Old 08-27-2001 | 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Its too bad it costs 5 grand to go 100mph.

Old 08-27-2001 | 03:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

With a beater VW bug, the right gearing and a downhill slant, I bet you could do 100 MPH for less than a grand - but what fun would that be? I don't think cost is the issue, I think it has more to do with having fun. Plenty of guys have 20k into chromed out trailer queen Banshee's that race in a straight line up hill faster than you can blink - and for them, that is fun and a thrill. The idea of a 100 MPH ATV, that can also take turns and do all sorts of fun stuff like whoops, jumps, bolws and non-flat terrain; now that sounds like a very fun machine.

Old 08-27-2001 | 04:40 AM
|
Pro Rider

Keep in mind, that's almost 100MPH with short gearing! If he were to gear for it, I think 120MPH is not out of the question[a little optomistic maybe]. I hope Jeff doesn't try speeds like that with knobbies on though.

I understand that it's not cheap, but it's not built cheap either. I've personally told Jeff to hammer on it like it's stock, because I'm not worried about the reliability, and I stand behind that. The work that goes into these motors is so pretty that it's a shame that it all can't be seen. If a motor like that is out of someones price range, I have much more affordable motors as well. Complaining about the price of one is sort of like complaining about the price of a McLaren F1. If you can't afford it, them get yourself a Corvette, still a great performer, but much more affordable. If the 760 were not available, most people would be more than happy with the 703[less than half the price], but now you have an even better choice, if you have the means. How fast you can go is dictated by how much your willing to spend, and it always has been. Jeff can still go faster if he wants to use alchohol[and I bump the compression] or nitrous[that's on the way already]. Jeff can afford the "McLaren" so he has the pleasure of driving it[I hope with a smile].

Old 08-27-2001 | 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to mount my friends GPS and see how that compares to my clocked top speed.I have a bicycle computer but lost the instructions,cant remember how to pull up the top speed,plus the small crystal display was hard to see in the bright sun

Old 08-28-2001 | 04:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you want a pretty trick setup, for a speedometer etc, get one of the RAM Mount kits for whatever GPS you opt to purchase. I just got one and really wish I'd bought it sooner. It's a u-bolt mount on the handle bars and the thing does not move at all when properly installed. (I had to do a little extra bouncing the first day to try it out.) For $30-ish plus the cost of your favorite GPS, you get a speedometer you can look at while riding assuming your display is large enough.

Old 08-28-2001 | 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

With a quick run with the GPS it showed a 80mph top speed,thought the Hayabusa's speedo was off.So 100mph might be possible if I went up 2 teeth in the front(17 tooth)?

Quick Reply: Street Drags?