CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Price of rims with reinforcing rings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 03:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knutz,

I've noticed similar things concerning the carbon fiber wheels, even though they do look great. I do recall a forum member (can't remember who now) saying he'ed tried them and he disliked them enough to badmouth Hipertech. I'd love to see a review of these by a magazine or better yet, ATVing.com.

Old 10-11-2001, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider

You guys keep mentoning OMF. Is that a companie or a brand name or what. Do they have a web site? Sorry for the dumb question but up till now I have never modded a fourwheeler.

Old 10-11-2001, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

OMF is a company out of CA. I'm not sure if they have a website but you can find their ad in any dirtwheels mag. I have two sets of their rims, one set with dirt tires and one set with paddles. I used to have a lot of problems with bending rims (.190's) and now that is a thing of the past with the reinforced rims. I paid right around 110 a rim for a douglas 190 with inner and outer rings (rear). Thier # is 909 354 8272 if you are interested. It is really cheaper to buy the rims with the rings instead of just the rings unless you can weld aluminum really well. I called about having it done and it was like 50 bucks a tire just to have them weld the rings on. the rings were 25 bucks a piece also so it is better just to buy them complete. Well I'm done rambling so good luck.....later

Old 10-11-2001, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

I have a set of HIPER-TECHS carbon fiber wheels ,I dont have any thing bad to say about them they look great and they can really take some abuse.They r the best quality rim on the market but for some reason every body likes to run the ones that have been proven to bend. Dirt wheels did a test on those wheels and they couldnt bend or break them they gave the wheels a big thumbs up. I think it was in july or aug issue

Old 10-11-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

I can tell you what that "some reason" is. When an aluminum wheel bends, you can keep riding in it. You can even straiten it out after the race. The carbon fiber wheels will not bend, but break, making them useless[or at least unsafe] to continue on. Untill the wheels are proven to be indestructable, racers are going to continue to lean towards aluminum. I'm still up in the air about them, but trying to keep an open mind. I only wanted to point out what I have noticed and heard about. I honestly have heard more bad than good, outside of what the magazines have to say. But I have learned that magazines will make sure that they don't bite the hand that feeds them. Having an add in the mag monthly, ensures that your product gets a full and favorable review. That is not to say you can't get one without an add, but there is no way to get a bad review if you have the add.

Old 10-11-2001, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

DSaholic, Thanks for the number. I gave them a call. They where $94.95 a peice plus shipping. Shure beets my dealers price of $195 each for rims with only outer rings. Thanks a bunch.

Old 10-11-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Douglas is the builder of the ds wheels ,only difference bombardier owns the tooling for the special pattern at hub hole.This is what I was told either by my dealer or an Employee at when I called.(not sure which place told me this.)When you buy them from a dealer you pay more...just for bomb pattern.

Old 10-12-2001, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

If you have a problem with carbon fiber wheel you can replace the component that is damaged and not spend your evening trying to make a wheel out of a flattend piece of aluminum.Just get a set and see for your self or I will let u try a set of mine ,OK Knutz

Old 10-12-2001, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

No promlem, I am glad I could be of some help. You will love those rims plus they look really cool too!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2001, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Gonna get my rear wheels (replacements from douglas after slightly bending 1 & destroying another stock)welded w/re-inforcement rings installed on inside & outside for $120.00 each ........beats almost 200.00 each. A local shop will supply weld & rings.......I supply CASH . I do use the bent wheel for a spare.Hopefully won't need it too much after this is done.NEXT.....new rubber ,,,any recomendations ?.......mostly ride hard pack trails ,racing,....... MX trax.........??thanx,Dave

Quick Reply: Price of rims with reinforcing rings?