CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

MX racing on the DS650

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001 | 09:55 AM
|
Pro Rider

Do any of you race MX on your DS650's? If so tell me what you think of its performance on the track, and what mods you have done as far as handling. I have ridden one on a MX track, but not in competition.

Old 10-23-2001 | 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

I due not race any more just too dam old for MX. I went out to the track last month and rode for about two hours. I did about 4 or 5 laps at a time to make adjustment to my new shocks. I could hardly walk for the next week. Shocks will get you the best performance improvement over any other mod. With the correct set up you can save 4 to 5 sec a lap. A-arms to save weight and are adjustable and stronger. Change the exhaust system to save more weight and pick up better low and mid range power, Get a -1 inch swing arm to save weight and to turn quicker. Change tires too Holeshots or Razr, but not on the Baja DS650. Get reinforcement rings for the wheels.

Old 10-23-2001 | 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

I do, woods stage1 kit with twist throttle (vortex), k&n on the carb, team-pami clutch springs, plus 1 wider and forward a-arms (from Knutz Concepts), graydon nerfs and bumper, tag t2's (sx bend), 20 inch turf tamers (rear), 22 inch holeshots (front), 17 tooth sprocket, pro design kill switch, shock wears, tm designs chain roller, k&n breather filter, oury grips, alba gripper seat and graphics. i ride redbud and kill on the big track(pro-track), small track wears me out quick.

Old 10-23-2001 | 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

I just started riding mx on mine. I love it. I do not race but it would be fun. I have not got neare as radical as some claim to but I have already put a few good size dings in my stock rims so rims with reinforcing rings will be a must. Make darned sure you get ones with both outer and inner rings. Some form of exaughst would be inline to for more low end power.

Old 10-24-2001 | 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

not bashing butt dont race mx with a ds ...it wont last and you will work ten times harder then the guy with the ex or r

Old 10-25-2001 | 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

biggy, here we go again, yes your bashing, just take your captain raptor butt to the yamaha forum and leave us alone. if your not with us your against us, so bye bye.

Old 10-25-2001 | 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I go to all three of our local tracks to watch mx and I've only seen one DS. He consistently finished middle of the pack so it's tough to say based on his performance if it's rider or bike. I read a cool article in the last ATV Sport on a bunch of stuff they did to DS and cut it's weight by 50 pounds. I do think however that the DS was designed for wide open desert racing style use. The DS usually takes some of these races every year I don't think it was designed with mx in mind at all I mean look at the pro mx quads and look at a DS it's fairly obvious that the designers where shooting for something other than mx.

Old 10-25-2001 | 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

thats fine to say that, but when i'm not riding mx i have tons of power to play ride, and my ds is more reliable than most trail bikes. none of us here are pro riders that have a team of guys wrenching on our quads after every race, and our quads don't need to be wrenched, thats the point. and thats why it won the baja almost stock. lets have a mx race that lasted a whole weekend none stop. other quads would be getting worked on while our just kept going except to stop and get gas.

i don't know about you but when i'm out riding a couple hours from home i don't want some POS thats gonna last an hour or two the need a ton of maintenance.

Old 10-25-2001 | 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

The DS stands for dune sport, it's intended use. No one should get offended for trying to race one. If someone can mx with one, more power to them. If they can win on one, the praise should go to the rider not the machine because they're going up against lighter bikes more suitable for a mx track. The canondale was designed to take down the reigning king, the 250R, just as you see yamaha YZF 426's beating bikes in the 250 two wheel class.
A dog can run circles around a horse in a corral, but which one do you want to ride on the open range.

Old 10-25-2001 | 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is my opinon on Mx with the DS, I tried to do Mx with a DS650 and every time i did I would bend my axle and my rims were bent beyond repair. I'm by no means a pro rider this was my first year of racing, I bent the axle clearing a 60ft table top, even bought a Durablue axle and bent that the first time out with it on the same table top. Bought the OMF rims with the rings on the inside and outside, And they bent the first night out to, although they were still usable. I will say the DS is a excellent jumber, If you dont mind alot of bent parts. I've since traded the DS for a cannondale cannibal, was going to wait till spring but for what some of these dealers are trying to sell there DS650's for, come spring I would have had to sell it for next to nothing.

Quick Reply: MX racing on the DS650