CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is my Quest TX 650 a lemon????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 02:52 PM
Mar
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. That is what attracted me to bombardier. All the other bikes seem to be building for light weight. Sure it has advantages. 1. More sporty 2. Easier to get unstuck 3. Mostly faster. But to get this light weight they are using skimmpy chassie parts.

The bombarider is built like a tank. LIKE A TANK. It has arms that could be used on a transport truck.

There front differential is second to none. Sure yamaha and kawasaki is offering a locked front end. But you are still driving around in 3 wheel drive untill you lock it. And somtimes once your stuck putting it in locked isnt going to do ####. The system on bombardier's is by far the best. At a show they had a diffrential with handles comming out. You spin the drive handle and both the axle handles turn. If you grab one handle (simulating traction that one stops and the other spins. But in less then half a turn you can feel force somehow being aplied to the handle you are holding on to and all of a sudden its locked.

This bike is a go anywhere bike. Sure its hard to unstuck once its stuck. But you could pull anyone else out no problem. You could pull a car out. Even though they complain about how hard it is to get unstuck i got my friend out with my kodiak. winching him uphill though mud.

One more plus about bombardier is that they use BREMBRO Brakes. They are the same used on ferrari and other high end sports cars. Magazines have allready said bombardiers brakes are the best.

And biggy please. Just last week we had to to a honda with a locked tranny. He was stuck in revearse. An other one wouldnt idle.

Just watch. Honda is going the way of yamaha. Cheaper parts. Fun to ride. Last 10 days before overhaul.

ColdNcruel Dont feel you made the wrong choice. You made a really good choice. Ask your dealer what he would do. Ask him why he offered you the deal on 500 bucks. It might not be a lemon. Just some glitches. Personnly i would pay 500 and get a new one. Give it a nice breakin. Take it to the dealer and get him to do the first service. Then ride it hard. Its the best sport Ut on the market. Be proud..

Old 11-16-2001, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys for all your advice!

I have until tuesday to decide whether I'm keeping my machine or getting the new one, The dealer may have me talked into keeping it. The talk about buying a honda is just in frustation, I've owned a TRX 250R years ago and it was the best damn sport machine I have ever owned, Never let me down. I did a lot of research and comparing before I bought The quest and It was by far the best machine I could have bought for the money and quality. I hoping that this is all just very fluky and that after this repair is done that it lives up to the reputation the proceeds it.

I sure would like to go riding tonight...........SIGH.............SIGH........... . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2001, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

ColdNCruel,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Quest 650. Being that we are among the first buyers of the Quest, there is not alot of information around about the bike. I haven't heard on any of the forums I'm involved with, or through any other Quest owners that I know, the transmission problem you describe. That would lead me to believe that it is more likely a "lemon" issue than a general design flaw.

If you look at the long term track record of the Traxtor (and other Bombardier products in general), it is very good and I expect nothing less on the Quest.

As for the replacement Quest, thats a hard one. If Bombardier has authorized a replacement, then it should be done completely for free. If your dealer is offering you a replacement to ensure you are a satisfied customer, then I think $500.00 is a resonable amount (to cover his costs for setup, prep, etc.). If you are always going to be concerned about the tranny - if it's going to eat away at the back of your mind - then I would go for the replacement.

If you don't decide to get the replacement, I would ask the dealer to extend that offer a couple weeks so you can test out the repaired tranny. That way if it's still not working correctly, you can still get the replacement.

Keep us posted on what you decide and how everything works out.

Cheers,

Old 11-17-2001, 07:51 PM
wam
Weekend Warrior

I had trouble with a rebate issue from Bomb and felt that I was getting the run around. I wrote an e-mail to the following address and recieved a reply the next day. A week later I recieved my check. If the $500. deal is the best you can get, I would do it. But I wouldn't do it without talking to Bomb first. Don't say it in a threatening way but let them know in your letter that you frequent these forums and that you've been talking about this issue. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

bombardier.service@recreation.bombardier.com

Old 11-18-2001, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

<< Thanks Guys for all your advice!

I sure would like to go riding tonight...........SIGH.............SIGH........... . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
>>

You dont want to ride that old railroad grade in amery.
Just is'nt any fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2001, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Reply to Shotgun Messiah;

You are obviously aware of the area I ride in and you are right, The cattail is about the most boring trail I have been on, I would appreciate any infor you have on trails in the area or any organized rides, hope to see ya soon....In my dust!

Old 11-18-2001, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Coldncruel
I read about your problems, and now I am really confused, I too was sold on the Quest after test riding one near here. I guess the company that makes them really doesn't care about customer happiness, as you have a lemon in my opinion, now I will have to start all over again. The bomb company sound a little like general motors, make the sell and forget about the customer, keep us posted on how you make out. Also I read a while ago about some other guy with tranny problems, bad design probably.

Old 11-18-2001, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Reply to Plowing;

Hey don't give up on the quest! The dealer is taking care of me and is doing all they can to make me happy. The option to get a new one for $500 was offered to keep me happy if I were to choose a new one to help me gain some confidence back in my machine. I am in the Retail Car business myself and know how hard it is to make a pissed off customer happy and they ARE doing there best. It frustrates me that the machine I picked out has let me down but I am finding out that this problem may be very fixable and I should be back on the trail next week. I have faith in this company and the machines they build! By the way I did some plowing of some dirt and brush and I have to say that the Quest 650 is very capable of cutting through any snow drift as long as you can get traction.

Happy Wheeling!!!

Old 11-19-2001, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

<< Reply to Shotgun Messiah;

You are obviously aware of the area I ride in and you are right, The cattail is about the most boring trail I have been on, I would appreciate any infor you have on trails in the area or any organized rides, hope to see ya soon....In my dust!
>>

Best trails reasonably close that I'm aware of are about an hour N on 35.
W of cozy corner. It's actually in MN. If you want to do the drive, the Iron River area is some great riding. And hurley cant be beat for the mud.
Hope it all works out for you.
I doubt it you'll see me in your dust till spring. All I want to do is get the wheeler going for plowing snow now. (slight mishap)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]