CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Modded End Cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]My big gun is falling apart, all the rivets are coming out of the tail piece, talked to big gun and they are already making excuses before ive even sent it in. they said send it and they will look at but if the packing is wore out, its my fault!! I bought this pipe on 8-22-01, only four months old!!! I hear of people modding there end caps and getting just as much power if not more out of it then a pipe! Is this true?where?when?how?how much?what?who? Thanks guys

Old 12-20-2001, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Knutz has the end caps. Last time we talked, he hadn't set a price yet.

Old 12-20-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks vegas, all these views no replies!

Old 12-20-2001, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

roostin~

Mines a little older, it's about 9mon and I have the same issue. After the first ride, the coating on the head pipe flaked off, screen blew out shortly after, etc. I talked with Big Gun and they wanted me to send it in for repair. But I talked with them and the flaking did matter that much and I replaced the screen with some heavy duty Honda supplied screen - the screen has held up ever since. They did send me free replacement packing for my troubles. But I will never again spend over $300 with them again.

Old 12-21-2001, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I know what your saying, im really dissapointed with it. Did anybody see the post in yamaha forum talking about dyno on pipes. it shows that a slip on with factory head pipe is making more usable power in the powerband than a full replacement. Its tested on the raptor. I wonder if its the same on the ds? Im thinking of going back to my stock headpipe with a slip on or modded end cap. anybody seen the dynos on the ds or the comparison from slip to full, or endcap mod to full pipe?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-21-2001, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Wheres knutz? I would like your info on the modded end cap. or if you have any dyno info on the cap or any pipe comparisons, preferably full pipe VS slip on

Old 12-21-2001, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have used big gun exhaust it rattled and leaked at every connection. Next up Graydon Proline, it broke the middle pipe bracket 3 times, Ron Wood Racing next, good fit and rubber mounted but some what of a narrow power band, I bought a new Baja and installed a Yoshimura slip on, the fit was excellent and rubber mounted with very good all around power. They are building a quiet version soon but not for the DS. If we e-mail or call, there is a good chance they will make it for the DS also.
Bearman

Old 12-21-2001, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

A good slip on can make the same peak HP #'s as a full pipe, but the power band is narrower. I don't have #'s on the end caps yet[tried all week to find time for the dyno], and I have a RWR exhaust to test now[customer thought the power band was too narrow as well], but I'll let everyone know what I find.

Old 12-21-2001, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

I almost bought the big gun but money was short so I opted for the Yoshamura slip-on.I havn't had a lick of trouble with it and I'm happy with the power gains. Guess this isn't a case of "you get what you pay for".

Old 12-21-2001, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have my modded end cap(ugly, but it works), a stock endcap, and one in pieces that Steve sent me. I have one stainless tailpipe (from J.C. Whitney!) to use to modify Steve's. I thought the DS endcap was chromed, when I modded it I assumed I had just burnt off the chrome, so I painted it black. Knutz kindly advised me that the whole endcap is stainless, not chromed, which is a mixed blessing. Fabricating in stainless is a lot more trouble and expense than mild steel, but it's a finished product with no trip to the chrome shop.
.....Coming up with stainless parts to make a nice, finished version of my butt-ugly hack job of an end-cap is a lot harder and more expensive than grabbing that piece of tailpipe off my scrap heap that I made my end cap with.
.....If Knutz comes up with an All stainless replacement end cap that works as well as my ugly version, he should retail it for $100. That's with some baffles, and a spark arrestor. My end cap is only a couple of decibels louder than stock, has the spark arrestor, and gives a low end power increase similar to a slip-on. A mild steel, powder coated end cap could retail for less, say $75. I figure I can mod one, in stainless, for about $60.
.....The DS exhaust is really quite good. Only the restrictive end cap tailpipes are at fault, and replacing or modifying them is a very logical choice.
.....I need to get down to phoenix to dyno test these three endcaps. The stock, the stainless mod, and the butt-ugly.(Ennio Moricone where are you?) I had hoped to do this by now, but I have been building my son's Raptor 80, with huge mods, Blaster A-arms, works shocks, which I just finished Wednesday. Raptorette
Raptorette Construction
Some vitals: Wheelbase, 42", Width, 42" rear, 41" front, seat height, 26", wheel travel 6" front and rear.
.... I'm also waiting for our local lame-o welding supply to get me a tank of tri-mix gas for welding stainless. Meanwhile Steve found a stainless mixing bowl that fits the end of the DS muffler.
.... I thought I would modify a few of these, if people were interested.
But until I get some real dyno results there's not much point. Seat of my pants is not a very good basis for a marketing strategy. I'm not going to get to this till January. It's too damn cold to ride right now anyway....But Phoenix is nice this time of year...

Quick Reply: Modded End Cap