CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

bottom end power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now money is kind of tight. So, with the new Baja I have I am trying to find a less expensive way to increase the bottom end power.

I want to get a big gun exhaust, but don't have the funds as of yet.

I do have the K&N jet kit (not installed yet), so I was hoping that I could remove something from the exhaust to wake up the bottom end of this bike.

It pulls real hard above about 3500 rpm all the way to the rev limiter, but down low it kind of bogs down.

My question:

Is there a way to loosen up the exhaust and gain a little more power down low?

Would just installing the jet kit help it out?

Thanks for any input.

Bat

Old 01-16-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Install the jet kit and see if it makes a difference. For about 30 bucks you could install a smaller front sprocket (15t). The re-jetting of the carb for me made a big difference!! I went up to a 180 manin jet, I am at around the 1000ft elevation.I also moved my needle up one notch, and opened my air fuel mixture to about 2 3/4 turns or so. I am also trying the 15 tooth front sprocket. I am running with a k&n stock replacement filter without the lid. And a modified end cap on the muffler. Opening up your end cap alone by itself may not give more low end. It could take some away in fact. This is what makes it fun, tuning your machines. Anyway, just sharing some of my experiences.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I modified my end cap, actually thats a lie. I had a Endcap biult to replace my stock one for around 25 bucks. And it works as good as any after-market pipe out there(in my opinion)its loud but sounds good. It made all the difference in the bottom-end.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

biggerisbetter, your right as well. I have seen in person how well the stock ds exhaust performs with just some minor end cap modifications! I think mine right now performs just as well as some after market full and/or slip on exhausts. Especially after re-jetting and a little fine tuning.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Buttfungus, I'll think you'll agree. For no more than it cost to biuld one, Its to cheap not to try it. Like I said, its alittle on the loud side, and everyone does'nt go for that,But it doesn't bother me none.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 01-16-2002, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info guys and buttfungus thanks for the pm.

If it weren't so darn cold out, I would allready have the jet kit in, I just got done washing my truck and before I could even get the chamois out it has frozen. I did get the door jambs dry before my doors froze shut.

I hope to get the jet kit in before this weekend so I can do some riding and tuning on this beast.

Thanks again
Bat

Old 01-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

You can mod your end cap so that it works as well as a slip-on, yet is barely louder than the stock exhaust. Don't just gut it and weld on a tailpipe. Let the tailpipe go inside the spark arrestor for about 5", restrict the end and cut slots or holes or whatever you can in the sides of the pipe as it goes into the spark arrestor. This forces the gases to go around and through, breaking up the sonic waves but letting the gases out. I have a system of slots and mini-baffles which is working out real well on my HMF too.
.....The stock DS muffler is pretty damn good. With the endcap out you can look inside and see it is an open exhaust, just like the aftermarket performance mufflers. Buttfungus sent my end cap to Knutz, I wish he'd tried it first. We may have some real dyno numbers here pretty soon though.
.....I called mine my Butt-Ugly endcap because I burned the chrome and nickel out of the stainless by welding and re-welding my end cap, (which I redid 3 times). The black BBQ paint and a little rust peeking through from Pismo gave it a decidely unattractive appearance. Metal work is okay, with a nice downturn to the 1.5" tailpipe. A 1 3/4" tailpipe might be worth trying.
.....Hey Steve, maybe I should bite the bullet and go get that tank of Helium eh? I've got yours just sitting there waiting. I have lots of stainless scrap to practice on.
Here's a thought. Put a 1&3/4" tailpipe in yours and send it to Knutz. Let him test them both. I'll chip in on the Dyno time. Knutz, are you listening? I need a trip to Vegas.....Here we go again....
.....I'm not going to have some grand illusion that I could sell 50 of these,,, this time. But it ticks me off that the stainless factor has stopped me cold, my reluctance to spend a couple of hundred to set my welder up for stainless which I probably will not recover by modding a few endcaps for other people. But this could be fun anyway.

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2002, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Fourlix, yeah sounds good, what do you think about a 2" pipe in mine? I have about a 2 inch hole in my end cap now.BTW I sent your how-to-mod-end cap intructions from one of your previous posts to BAT earlier. This is fun stuff!
Biggerisbetter, yeah doesn't take much money for this mod.

Later,

Old 01-17-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Fourlix, I wanted to try your end cap, but I just got my machine tuned with my end cap to go hit the dunes for the first time this weekend. I just don't seem to have enough time any more! If I just had more time.....Oh well..Feel free to experiment with my end cap pieces and parts that you have! I also wanted to see your end cap compared to other designs.

Later,

Old 01-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Boy I hear you. Rejetting is such a pain. Rock on. er, Roost on.
...... I think the tailpipe diameter may be the single biggest variable in the modded DS end cap. The inner baffles kill some noise, but little power, as long as it is a free flowing design and less restrictive than the tailpipe.

Quick Reply: bottom end power?