CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

bottom end power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current leading design is a 3" outlet tube, and it's not near as loud as you might think. Inside the canister, my end cap has a reverse megaphone that also swirls the exhaust. This set up does wonders to quiet the exhaust.

Bombardier reps caught me riding one of these end caps in the parking lot, and were very intrested in it. I don't have any designs on the dyno yet, I'm waiting to do them all at once. That way there are fewer variables between one test and the next. I have 3 designs going, fourlix's design, and a stock one for base line testing.

Old 01-17-2002, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

I simply cut away the spark arrestor assembly and the stinger tubes back to the cap and I noticed a big difference in power without too much work ie welding etc. I'm sure a single 3" hole would flow much better than the 2 exhaust tubes, but I wonder how much better and if it's worth it for the extra work. I have dune-tested my modded endcap and I was impressed by the power gains up top more than down low which surprised me. It'll work for now, still very quiet but doesn't sound crippled and has a decent rumble. I think the overall design of the stock muffler is decent,(just your average can with fiberglass packing) but the poor quality and weight of it make me want to ditch this thing and not put too much work in a better endcap. As soon as cash allows, a Big Gun will be a much lighter, way better looking replacement even if the power is the same as a modded end-cap on a stock muffler. Bat, if you want to bring your endcap down I will make the same mods to yours as I did mine in about 10 min. with my Dremel and a cutting wheel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2002, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Dunejammer,
Thanks for the offer, I am going to be down at kevins place Friday night about 8:30 if the weather keeps the roads from getting too bad.

I think for now, I am going to leave it alone, because I want to do some riding on saturday and not have to be trying to tune it in.

I think we are going to go down to little sahara (ut) on saturday and I will take the baja and the raptor and hopefully the weather wont be too bad.

Bat

Old 01-17-2002, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

The stock Baja ignition, while better than the standard DS, still lacks the advance to get good bottom end power. With the help of jeffinrivercity, and NDB Sports in Canada, we can now use the race box on the Baja.
www.rotax.net Ron Wood Racing