CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

The best Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my stockers with mud sharks. These tires hooked up great, but after a yr of riding on them. Not so good. They still work good in dry but muddy they just spin. I put on my brothers stock 400ex radials on my stock rims. Oh MY!!!!!! What a hookup. Now it's winter here in Ohio so I don't know about the dry but for the slim - OH MY!!!!!!! I'm a true believer in Radials now...

Old 02-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

i heard super swamper tsl 26" 4ply with will hook up nice in the deep mud. They will get you through any swamp.

Old 02-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

Ho do all those knobby tires do in the sand? if u had o pick one tire for sand w/ out paddles what would it be?????

Old 02-21-2002, 04:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm gonna put all tire to rest and tell you to get Ohtsu Radials - the very same tires on the Baja and 400EX. The reason why these Ohtsu weren't in the latest dirt wheels shootout is because its a given that nothing will outperform them....and the new Kenda tires in the shootout were compared to them, but didn't surpass them.
I have a stock motor, Ron Wood pipe, K&N, and Dynojet kit, and with the Ohtsu radials on my bike the front end is as light as my ATC350X! get the whole set of 4 front and back, and the infamous "twitchy" fron tend will disappear. This wandering front end has as much to do with the back tires as the front, and no a-arm change or steering stabilizer is needed.
Warning: Be careful with these tires - my first outing with them cost be $120.00 after I flipped over and tore up my Tag bars and thumb throttle!!

Old 02-21-2002, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

I had pretty much narrowed it down to either Turf Tamers or Ohtsu Radials. I do ride some trails some times with rocks and stumps. But of the Turf Tamers and the Ohtsu Radials which one will get me moving from a dead stop the fastest. I need the best straight line traction tire. Because even when Im raceing around a TT track as soon as I come out of a corner in 2nd gear and punch it the tires are spinning wildly. Also how much are Ohtsu Radial tires for the rear?

Old 02-21-2002, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

My question with the Ohtsu tires is, is there a place to buy them? I have had a hard time finding them as well as the Kendas. Are they available in a 22"(please quad gods please). The problem I have is that with being geared down for riding the dunes that when I ride with regular tires that 1st gear seems to be absolutly useless. All I do is spin, spin, spin. Would very good 20" tire solve this? I know that 22" would bring my gearing back up so I would lose less traction plus top end speed would increase.

Hightower, you seem to know about the Kendas. Do you know where these would be available, or if they are? If I still want a 22" which would you recommend? Bandits? Tamers? I ride in very dry desert climate with lots of brush and rock so punctureing IS a concern.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2002, 09:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

As far as track tires go, I'm not an expert, so what would be best for TT racing I do not know. The secret to Ohtsu radial traction is that they are super soft rubber, and the radial nature of the manufacture allows the tire to sag more on the ground contact. My Ohtsu tires sag more with 5 pounds than the dominators do at 3 pounds. The ride is much smoother too. My buddy has a 400EX, owns a set of turftamers, and favers the forward traction of the Ohtsu over the turftamer for the places we ride - woods trails - dirt drags - and sand.
Ohtsu radils only come in 20*10*9, but the traction is so much better that the 22" tire mentioned is not needed. Only if your riding location needs more ground clearance.
I have stock gearing too, and never hit the rev limiter any more.
Chaparral (www.800-841-2960.com)has the radials - they always have an advertisement on the very last page of Dirtwheels - every month. $55.00 for rears, $45.00 for front - all four make a perfect handling combination - I cannot believe how impressed I am. The steering stabilizer I was going to buy is no longer needed.
Better side bite too, less oversliding in turns (dominators slide me off the trail like crazy), but they still brake free for super donuts by shifting your weight forward a little.

Old 02-25-2002, 10:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The DS that one the Baja2000 wore bandits -22"rear, 23"front- because their traction was perfect for desert and they are highly punture resistant...

Old 02-25-2002, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

i just bout the 22*10*9 bandits xc (kevlar belted) and the 22*7*10 fronts, i mainly ride in the dunes, and where thereis a lot of soft sand so i think i made a good choice, what do u guys think?

Old 02-26-2002, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Tyson, Right on man. Those are exactly what I was thinking of going with. Please, when you get them, would you please take them out in some of that good dry dirt that I know is around ElPaso and let us know how well they improved your machines performance? Your a heck of alot hotter there but I think it is about the same kind of terrain as here so your opinion would be very valuable to me. Thanks

Demon

Quick Reply: The best Tires.