CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

piston and cams question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an exhaust, cdi, carb mount air filter, I guess what I am asking is what is the next step?

How far can you go and still run the stock carb?

Could you put in a hotter cam and leave the rest alone, except for jetting, or would you have to do a piston and a bigger carb also?

I am just not sure what the next step is, any suggestions are great. I really don't have the money for the 703 and would prefer to do all the work myself to save on down time.

Thanks again for all the suggestions
Bat

Old 02-24-2002, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

If you do cams and a carb, with heavy duty valve springs and clutch springs, you could be down for only a weekend. You could still run pump gas, and you wouldn't be buying a high comp piston which would be replaced by the 703 kit anyway.
.....You'd have everything but the big bore kit, which could come last.
,,,,,I think I'd go Pami all the way on the cams and springs, but there's choices there too. Mikuni or Edelbrock maybe?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2002, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't had the oportunity to test every combination on the dyno, but this is the feed back I've recieved so far from customers with differing set ups.

From those that have gone with a carb, but retained stock cams and pistons, the reactions have been luke warm. Those that chose the 45MM carb claimed the bigger hit, but ended up slower by compairson to the 42MM carb due to the loss of power down low. Both were quicker than stock, but exact results I don't really know[different riders claimed different amounts].

Those that went with a piston and cams, but retained the stock carb, seemed more pleased. Power increase across the board was felt, but the increases could have been even more significant had the carb been added.

If it's a choice between a piston or a set of cams, the cams will give you a greater increase, but both will help thoughout the power band[provided the cam selection is proper].

Vegas650's RWR stage II showed 48RWHP on a couple of different dyno's. Hopefully, I'll be testing a similar Team Pami set up in a few weeks[I just set up the race bike that way]. I'll be disapointed if it's not between 50-55 RWHP. I never got a chance to test Al's befor the oil incident, but I think it's safe to estimate between 55-60 RWHP from the 703.

If it were up to me, I think I would go with the piston and cams together[as long as I have the motor apart], and add a carb as soon as my budget allowed[at the same time if I could afford it]. If I were to chose to get a 703 later, the only item not re-usable would be the piston, and you could re-sell it if it's in good shape[several customers have done this, but it's not exactly what I would recomend]. I hope that helps.

By the way, Team Pami does not have a single recorded case of valve springs "shattering", even without the shim under bucket design. The difference between the two brands of springs can be seen just by looking at them. I would explain this difference, but some members consider that "bashing".

Old 02-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Knutz....Thanks for the explanation and exsamples.This will be my next up grade also soon. Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2002, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks knutz, that is the info I was looking for. I will email you for some prices and specifics.

If you did the piston, cams and carb, what combination would work the best? Could it still be run on pump gas, or would I need race gas?

What size carb are you talking about? 45mm....

I appreciate any info and look forward to your advice. I will be installing the pami clutch springs sometime this week (I hope) so if you have any install tips and also torque specs I would appreciate it. Someone posted in another thread that the bolts should be 89 in/pds is this correct? I am ordering the shop manual, but don't have it yet.

Thanks guys for all the info.

Bat

Old 02-24-2002, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

<< If I were to chose to get a 703 later, the only item not re-usable would be the piston, and you could re-sell it if it's in good shape[several customers have done this, but it's not exactly what I would recomend]. >>

Don, what do you mean that &quot;its not exactly what I would recomend&quot;

What would you recomend? If you prefer you can email me. I am very open to your opinion and am going to be buying my parts through you. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bat

Old 02-25-2002, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

<<

<< If I were to chose to get a 703 later, the only item not re-usable would be the piston, and you could re-sell it if it's in good shape[several customers have done this, but it's not exactly what I would recomend]. >>

Don, what do you mean that &quot;its not exactly what I would recomend&quot;

What would you recomend? If you prefer you can email me. I am very open to your opinion and am going to be buying my parts through you. So any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bat
>>

I believe Knutz is refering to the buying and selling of used pistons

Old 02-25-2002, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Bat,

Thanks for letting me have the pleasure of riding your baja. Way cool bike. I think though, that you need to just forget this idea of the 703 or piston and cams. I just couldn't stand not having the fastest DS around. You trying to send me to the mental ward or what man?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Let me know when you plan to put in those springs. I would really like to come and help or just watch if anything so I can learn that much more about my quad. Talk to you later.

Demon

Old 02-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Major, that is what I was thinking, but I just wanted to clarify.

Demon, you know how it is, the need for speed is never satisfied.

No problem letting you ride the baja. I will let you know when I put in the springs and you can come over.

Bat

Old 02-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

It wasn't you, but other members that stated that my compairisons of Team Pami parts to RWR parts was bashing, because I would state what made Team Pami's parts superior. I only state that when I feel it's true, but I guess that these memeber feel I should have less rights than other members. These members stated that they will not purchase from me because I do compair the two. That's fine.

I will say Marky, since your initial complaints to moderators about me and the beginning of your agressive marketing, I have heard no complaints from you, through moderators or customers.

I try to make myself more available to members/customers than anyone else in the industry threw these forums, but have paid a price of exposure to this criticism. I will try in the future to limit my comments, so as not to offend anyone. I guess for some, &quot;ignorance is bliss&quot;, so if they don't know any difference, they will be happy with what they get. Good luck to them.

Quick Reply: piston and cams question?